Double Winder Stair Install Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me with what i'm guessing is a common issue, I'm part way through a loft conversion (Steel work all in and joists going in this week) and I'm ready to order a staircase.

It will be a double winder (Top and Bottom 3 steps) which will be going into a rectangular opening in the loft floor - I have attached picture from Stairbox hopefully this will work!

Anyway, I've fitted straight runs before where back of top newel and stair string are notched over the trimmer - in this instance the back of the newel will be the right side of it (looking up the stairs from the straight run) - notching this would push the whole staircase across towards the trimmer and no leave any clearance for the handrail!

Should I have a double newel at top or do I need to pack the joist out behind the last riser to give the handrail clearance?

If I pack out will I be left with an awkward gap to cover behind the newel?

Thanks in advance!
Dbl Wind 3d.PNG
webquote2.png

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back