Newel for kite winder extends to ceiling, can i trim it down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As mentioned in other posts I'm renovating the balustrading on my stairs, I have closed sting stairs with a kite winder at the bottom.

The newell is a single piece about 6cm x 10cm which extends right up to the ceiling, where it is notched and then fixed to the roof joist.

I know the bottom part of the newell is structural on a kite winder but is it possible it needs to be bolted to the roof beam for stability?

The reason I ask is I'm wondering if I can trim it so it is a normal height with a cap on the top?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
thought i would post a pic if that helps with any suggestions? :)

newell.jpg

I would say yes you can shorten it, but it may need to gain a little lateral stability from future fixing of the spindles and hand rail.

I guess being fixed to the floor joists, it offered lateral stability to prevent wafting around when there was just a couple of rails down the stairs.

I hope i am not wrong and that the newel actually supports the stair trimmer. :eek:

my only comment would be that in that set up the post could be lightly screwed to the string and the ceiling and be rock solid

if the string is housed into it or its tied to the joists or the floor then it probably will be fine
what have your neibours done!!!

Sponsored Links
Unfortunatly I'm not part of a development (normally a good thing!) so I have nothing to compare to.

it looks like the string is housed into it and i can see light marks on the glosswork which look like filled screw heads.

Cheers for the advice, might leave it until i have the handrail in and decide if it would look a lot better, not quite brave enough to chop it yet!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back