Stairway crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've recently moved into a house, constructed c. 1868. The previous owner did a rushed 'tarting up' of the property beforehand and I've noticed a crack along the stairs and just wondered if it looks serious. A basic structural report was done last year and didn't report anything serious. I've enclosed images. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Nick.

Attachments

• 20190428_092849.jpg
    20190428_092849.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 20190428_092838.jpg
    20190428_092838.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 20190428_092927.jpg
    20190428_092927.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
Nicklas, good evening.

The cracks between stair and wall are a very, very common occurrence, a rake out of the present filler and insert a flexible type of filler, them paint.

Check under the stair if access allows, and if the underside of the stair treads are exposed can you get a couple of images and post here, there may be a couple of tips that will assist in stopping the cracking?

Ken.

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply, you've put my mind at rest. Unfortunately the underside of the stairs are not accessible for a photo. But thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated.

Nick.

Nicklas, good evening again.

There have been a lot of posts on this site about stair [stringer] cracks.

if you can be bothered have a look in the "archive" by using the search function box [found in the top right of the page.

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Easy peasy. Chip out, fill with flexible filler, sand and repaint. alternatively, if its a persistent problem you could always cover it with beading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back