Cracks in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Firstly please excuse my lack of knowledge of anything DIY. I've just moved into a new house and noticed and number of cracks in the ceiling in various rooms. They mainly travel across the middle of the room and some have other cracks at a right angle to them so they mark out an oblong on the ceiling. Most have been painted over so appear to be old but the ones in the master bedroom are newer. The old owners recently had a new window fitted in the bedroom so I'm not sure if that is related.

Am I right in thinking this might be caused by the joins in the plasterboard on the ceiling?

Is there anything I can do to check if they are something more serious or should I get a professional in to check.

I've attached a photo of one of the bedroom ones.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
Yes, it will be the p/b joins.

It could be caused by not enough correct screws in the fixing schedule.
Lack of taped joins.
Shrinkage of the joists.
Heavy loading on the attic joists above.
There are other possibilities, although I'm doubtful that the new window is a cause.
Read the Similar Threads below.

To fix it would perhaps be best to open all the cracks and re-screw and tape - no need to disturb the cove.
Some plasterers would lightly skim the new joins, others would want to screw up the whole ceiling and skim the lot.
A plasterer on site could figure out the best course of action.

ps. Dear lucky Paul, does Dany have any sisters?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back