Stand alone auto dialer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I have Pir transmitters in various outbuildings and a receiver in the house that sounds an audible warning.
The receiver has two sets of NO and NC terminals plus a 12v dc output so would like recommendations on a reliable dialer to telephone numbers when were not home.
From research it seem that landline dialers will not work after 2025 but our mobile signal is weak.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
you say its poor gsm signal, but if you get your mobile high enough can you get a decent signal?

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
the dialler i mentiond is small and can have an aerial added, its cheap, it needs a 12V supply and can utilise a 12V output to trigger it

I'm out of touch with these things, but it looks to me as if, when they say PSTN will go, they mean "certain services that run on PSTN will go"

Inside my alarm system I have a digital communicator of some kind hooked up to a phone line in my house, but it does not use ADSL or ISDN. I notice that as well as alarm signals, it sends a brief daily status check overnight.

I'm out of touch with these things, but it looks to me as if, when they say PSTN will go, they mean "certain services that run on PSTN will go"

Inside my alarm system I have a digital communicator of some kind hooked up to a phone line in my house, but it does not use ADSL or ISDN. I notice that as well as alarm signals, it sends a brief daily status check overnight.
In other words a digi ....old tech that’s probably costing you a fortune as every open/close signal may be costing you £17-25p or whatever the minimum call cost is ! Most of our digital coms have been swopped over to digi air with no call charges

yes, it does cost me per call. The maintenance man said he couldn't turn it off without a written instruction.

My previous Galaxy system from the same company did the same thing, and I had it turned off.

I must remember to request it.

This line has free weekend calls so it's never 30 calls in a month.

If the analogue PSTN is turned off, how do alarm systems contact the receiving centres and how do I call 999 (for example) in the event of a wide area power failure, when neither my CPE nor my mobile phone or my alarm system's 3/4/5G comms will work?

gprs,ip, radio etc etc

OK, let's think that through...

The alarm system has standby battery, but I've not seen any broadband routers that have them, so the alarm cannot connect over my fibre broadband service.

IP - there is no power in the area = no ip connectivity to anything. (3/4/5G - see next point).

GPRS relies on mobile phone cells. There is no power in the area. Currently, AFAIK, cell masts and the associated equipment do not have standby generators.

Radio - is possible if the range is long enough and there is a mast outside the area of the powercut.

But that doesn't help me call 999 during a wide area power cut.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back