Stand alone auto dialer

you can add an ups for the router, getting the right one will depend on how long you need it to last during a power cut.

how regular do you get them and how long do they typically last?

Sponsored Links
If the analogue PSTN is turned off

I'm not convinced that it will be done like that.

It would mean that phones in peoples houses would stop working.

Surely domestic consumers will be provided with a socket to plug their phones into, even if the calls are carried over VOIP.

But that doesn't help me call 999 during a wide area power cut.

Landlines work in power cuts. The system is very resilient. Any new system must also be resilient.

Utility companies and emergency services that may be called upon to work in the event of a "major incident" use PMR because mobile phone services stop working or are overloaded.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have a Virgin line which brings a co-ax and multiple twisted pairs into the house. From my perspective it looks like an analogue line but there might be digital switching in the green box at the end of the road. It must be cheaper and easier than installing digital devices in every house.

When I spent time in Telecomms I was told that the green boxes are often digital exchanges for a few streets.

The old "telephone exchange" buildings are now practically empty, but have facilities for local engineers to make tea.

I have a Virgin line which brings a co-ax and multiple twisted pairs into the house. From my perspective it looks like an analogue line but there might be digital switching in the green box at the end of the road. It must be cheaper and easier than installing digital devices in every house.

When I spent time in Telecomms I was told that the green boxes are often digital exchanges for a few streets.

The old "telephone exchange" buildings are now practically empty, but have facilities for local engineers to make tea.

You are correct about your Virgin service, but that street cab still needs mains power and they have a standard CU in there.

I worked at Baynard House, one of the largest London BT exchanges next to the Mermaid Theatre north of Blackfriars bridge for some years in an office that was once a room full of Strowger kit. But we still had backup power for system X and the later switches.

Last edited:
Landlines work in power cuts. The system is very resilient. Any new system must also be resilient.

Utility companies and emergency services that may be called upon to work in the event of a "major incident" use PMR because mobile phone services stop working or are overloaded.

Exactly my point. You'd like to think they'll get it right but I won't be putting money on it.

New Virgin installations don't use a separate phone line. They provide the phone connection by VOIP through the broadband Hub. Older installations will be changed to VOIP in due course.

They are almost empty, because the electronic switching equipment is so much smaller than the Strowger equipment the exchanges were originally built to house. They now house much more actual equipment, because there are many more lines and services in use.

New Virgin installations don't use a separate phone line. They provide the phone connection by VOIP through the broadband Hub. Older installations will be changed to VOIP in due course.
As sally2000 has posted ....just a coax to the new virgin installs ,phone plugs into the virgin router

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back