Stand alone PIR for floodlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please advise me how to attach a stand alone pir to a floodlight. I'm thinking of buying as a replacement for a broken pir light the SmartFlood Power-saving Floodlight, but it does not come with a pir attachment.

Sponsored Links
yeah, you don't want to fit a PIR to those..

they are CFL "floodlights" and will take a minute or 2 to reach full brightness like the ones in your house do..

they are not designed for security PIR lighting, just for general flood lighting..

So you think i should stick with a bog standard pir for my drive?

depends, do you put the light on for hours at a time, or just leave it on PIR to catch the cat?

which works out cheaper for you..

repeated 2-3min intervals at 150W/300w, or all night at 26W/42W?

( neighbours may not like you if you choose the second option.. )

Sponsored Links
I've got a public footpath (no public lights) running across the front of my house just outside of my drive and i guess i really only need the pir rather than the all night dusk till dawn option.
Thanks for the advice.

Forgot to ask. Do you know much about the LED pir floods?

probably less than you do.. I've had my head stuck inside of giant air conditioning units for the past 5 years so it's all changed since I was on the road..

huh.. new stuff... cool..:cool:

a 160 LED floodlight puts out 2567 lumens.. @1m
a 150W TH floodlight puts out about 2800 lumens @1m..

so the LED floodlight is equivalent to about a 138W TH lamp..

being LED I reckon that they wouldn't mind being PIR controlled..

TLC do a low energy floodlight complete with PIR, so they must be ok for it..

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TL3500A.html

like I said, 5 years out of the loop.. I guess progress never stops..

I'll give the LED a go I think and see how it stacks up.
Thanks again.

i have yet to see a reasonably priced bright led light (unless you want a torch, in which case they are great)

The floodlight linked to does not have a normal CFL lamp, if you read the blurb it says the eletronic balast is in the unit, i suspect that is to overcome the warming time of a normal CFL light, which this isnt

I tried an ordainairy CFL lamp connected to a pir it only lasted a few weeks, it gave up.

It could be a rethink then breezer about the LED.
Maybe it will be a cheap pir from B&Q.

I guess £15.00-£30ish and would want at least 5 yrs out of a £30 odd quid pir.
The one I have now is only 7 months old (taking it back for a refund) and it is playing up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back