stand for my router top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been making a router table top from a piece of work top and a Kreig insert and was swithering about how to go about the stand. I have seen a few online and thought to buy the lumber but I also thought about a cheap cabinet BUT the wife says why not use a Ikea kitchen work station trolley like this http://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/catalog/products/30240348/

what a great idea says I total cost €49 it is solid, already have one in the kitchen, but will add a bit of extra bracing top and bottom. If you take into account the time taken to make up something like this it is a no brainer. Simply make a hole in the top for the router and fix the router table top to it.

Sponsored Links
Interesting..I posted earlier today asking for recommendations for a router to fix to a table top. I posted in wrong area.
Yes, we have the IKEA one also in the kitchen. They do a handfull of v good things and this is one of them. Bargain, as you say.
If you can advise on router that fits well into this would be great. I want to make some windows (insert sealed units into frames) window router.jpg
window router.jpg

PS I bought and havent yet used an Erabeur plunge router but on reading up may not be best suited to table (IKEA) top?

I think you have to think about using the Ikea item purely as a stand only. In other words I have made a router top which I will fix to the top of the Ikea unit after having cut an aperture for the router to fit through. The top of the Ikea unit is 600x500 and my top is 760x600 with the Kreg insert fitted into it to support the router. I am a hobbyist not a professional but this will be perfect for most peoples needs though I think. I have even seen very simple home made router lifts that could be used in conjunction with the Kreg insert I am however in the first instance just going to raise the bit manually.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Its all a bit going in at the deep end for me. If you have any photos it would be helpful. What router do you have?
I shall look up that Kreg insert.
Difference only between a pro and amateur is one charges money!

I don't have a brilliant router but it is well up to any task I will be asking of it, it is a Bosch POF 1400 ACE . It is actually meant for freehand work but I will be using it for both fixed and free.The table insert is definitely the way to go. They are not too expensive, cost me £45, but will make the job a better one in the long run. I will post a photo when it is all done which won't be until the end of the next week as I am busy rebuilding a staircase at the moment :) .

Here is a link to a youtube vid that I think will explain things very simply... he made the laminated top I just had a bit of 40mm worktop hanging around that I have used but I have used a very similar approach to this guy.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I shall look into it. I think there is much to be said for less power and easier manageability of the tool. I bought some big one on a whim-still unused-but may well buy smaller one also. Good luck with the staircase. Sounds good. I am not enjoying insulating underfloor as my wife is in France....cold an issue with suspended floor..price of being on a slope. (West Lothian's not too warm I would imagine....)

total cost €49 it is solid, already have one in the kitchen, but will add a bit of extra bracing top and bottom. If you take into account the time taken to make up something like this it is a no brainer.
Hmmm. Piece of 2400 x 600 22mm MR-MDF = £10.20 (builder depot). Trim off the tongues and grooves and cut into 3 pieces. Screw and glue into H-shaped plinth. Add a couple of 2 x 1 softwood braces at the bottom and fix the top in place. So, 1 hour and £12 to £13 in materials.......

Well you are most fortunate to be able to buy it at that price a sheet of 2500 x 1220 22mm MDF here is €42 , I then have to be able to get into my car :) by the time I add the fixings and so on I would rather spend the €49 to be honest.
Don't get me wrong I get your drift and I am sure it would make a pretty ridged structure but I think that the Ikea item is a better option for me. Having built one before I know the materials they have used are pretty solid and accurately made for the price and the top of the unit adds extra support for the top I have made.

Very true. My issue is room and may need to fix top onto smaller Ikea base when I use router...hassle I know

Well you are most fortunate to be able to buy it at that price a sheet of 2500 x 1220 22mm MDF here is €42
Not fortunate at all - "2400 x 600" is generically known as "8 x 2" and comes pre-grooved as flooring in both 18 and 22mm thicknesses. It is, so far as I'm aware, a standard timber product across most of Europe (I've installed locally supplied Egger P5 in a number of countyries over the years). You may have to settle for P5 chipboard, though, as opposed to MR-MDF, but for a base unit I doubt it makes any real difference. Even Wickes do a cheap and cheerful P5 chipboard in 18mm at under £9 a piece.

On the score of carting materials around I do profess to owning an 18 volt cordless rip saw and some folding trestles which can come in very handy when visiting timber/builders merchants - providing they don't object to you carving up stuff on the car park!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back