Newbie router and table recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To continue my foray into woodworking, I’m considering buying a router and table.

I don’t plan on doing kitchen laminate work or anything extravagant. I simply want to make housing joints and rebates in wood so I can create planters and minigreenhouses for my garden.

I know 1/2” routers are more powerful and have more expensive bits. I know you can build router tables but space is limited so i was hoping for something I could stand on a base supported by sawhorses. That way, I could do any work in the garden rather than my cramped shed. The only feature I’d really like is the ability to adjust the bit depth from the top of the table rather than having to reach underneath.

Cost: I’d probably consider a maximum of £500 for router, table and bits (and anything else I might need).

What would you recommend for this newbie?

Sponsored Links
Second hand Bosch GTS 10XC. You can get a perfect condition example with a stand for £350 or less.

Take no notice of eBay numbers; I bought mine for £325 and sold it through eBay after 12 months for £400. Swamped with nutters who are happy to pay nearly new money for years old gear. Look locally.

As for a router, if you're going to put it in a table most of the time I can say I've been happy with my erbauer 1/2". Plenty of power, cheap and works well.

Second hand Bosch GTS 10XC. You can get a perfect condition example with a stand for £350 or less.
As for a router, if you're going to put it in a table most of the time I can say I've been happy with my erbauer 1/2". Plenty of power, cheap and works well.

I should have clarified that I'm after a router table/stand, and not a table saw.

I'll look at the erbauer though.

I have a Trend T5 which has an adjustable fence and more importantly for me, variable speed. (Fixed speed routers and large diameters bits must be a nightmare). It also has speed control on the motor so gives more torque to maintain the speed. The router itself has a dodgy drilling in the casting so the depth gauge isn't parallel to the movement, not great. Doesn't matter really - see below.

I've picked up a cheapo router table from Aldi and once screwed down to a chunk of MDF it's perfectly usable. I've modified said table to fit a standard mitre angle guide (you can get aluminium router bits, and slap on some lub wax and run it on the lowest speed, you can 'mill' ali with the router). The supplied guides are a bit gash. Also buying a "lab jack" was very nearly the best purchase I've ever made! You can use it to adjust the height with considerable precision at a mere fraction of the cost of a specific 'router lift'. Don't leave the jack in-situ for a prolonged period as it stops cooling-air flow through the motor.

I found the only limitation of having a 1/4" router over 1/2" is that the 1/4" bits are more limited in the length of bit, therefore depth of slot etc. Keep in mind you'd never route a slot in one pass anyway.

You can pick up the T5 with a starter set of router bits - which is enough to get yo going (won't use them all, but will replace some after you learn which are most useful). Then add to your colleciton as you go. Stay away from massive sets for only tens of pounds. They'll break and it will put you off using the tool.

Spend some of your money on gloves, goggles, ear defenders and dust mask. Imperative.

Nozzle

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I should have clarified that I'm after a router table/stand, and not a table saw.

I think I mis-read it.

However, in terms of router table, when I was after one, I found for what I wanted I'd have to spend a fortune and ended up making my own so on that basis there aren't really any I would want to recommend that aren't at the top end of you budget.

That said, router tables can be as primative or as advanced as you need them to be.

Trend (obviously) and Dewalt are most likely to be compatible with Trend router tables, an advantage when purchasing accessories. Other routers can be fitted but may require base plates drilling out.

Blup

May I offer 2 suggestions, a cheapo one and a premium one.
Starting with the cheapo one have a look in 'Aldi's' for their 'own' brand Router and Table. Router is 1/4 inch variable speed. Table is pressed steel with plastic fittings. I have that package, bought when on clearout offer; have found that the collett is not the best so does need to be checked regularly in use as the bits may work out upsetting all your settings and wasting timber. Depth stops and plunge locks on the router are not the best - they work but need constant monitoring. I've 'fetteled' the package to make it work for me but now I'd only use it for 'rough' work.
The premium system does meet your spec's and budget. have a look at the Triton MOF001 router (http://www.tritontools.com/en-GB/Product/Power Tools/Routers/MOF001) and Table 'Top' (http://www.tritontools.com/en-GB/Product/Workcentre Systems/Workcentre Systems/TWX7RT001), you will need to make up a supporting frame. Cutter height is finely adjustable with that package from the top of the table. You may wish to buy the Template Guide Kit for the router.

As for bits, look in Screwfix or Toolstation for a set of 6 or 12 bits, no more. Also buy 1/2inch and 3/4inch premium (Trend) bits.

Whilst either system will help you make stuff the Triton system will be more consistent and accurate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back