Which router?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

Had a cheap (£80) Bosch router which I've been using for a couple of small projects and has now died.

Looking for advice on it's replacement please.

Mostly light, occasional use cutting rebates or making boxes & frames. Don't have a router table but may buy one in the (near) future. In the recent past I've hired a router to join some kitchen worktops (3 different kitchens on 3 separate occassions) and will probably do another 2 or 3 over the next 24 months.

Budget is about £150 but could go to £225 or thereabouts. Would like a tool that s capable of doing kitchen worktop joints but would rather spend £120 on a good quality machine that can't (knowing I may have to higher one in the future) than £200 on a poor quality tool that struggles to do them.

Any advice, recommendations or suggestions for sources of information / product reviews much appreciated.

Thanks

F

Sponsored Links
Budget is about £150 but could go to £225 or thereabouts. Would like a tool that s capable of doing kitchen worktop joints but would rather spend £120 on a good quality machine that can't (knowing I may have to higher one in the future) than £200 on a poor quality tool that struggles to do them.
To cut worktops requires a plunge router and takes quite a bit of power - so 1400 watts and below won't cut it IMHO. About the only router I can think of which ticks your boxes is the Hitachi M12VE which comes in around £150 to £160 all over the place. Comes with a 30mm GB. At that price it is a bargain compared to, say a DeWalt DW625 or a Makita RP2301FCX, whilst coming from one of the large manufacturers, as opposed to a no-name Chinese outfit. Might be worth waiting comments from someone who has one (there are a few on here)

Edit: I should learn to type faster!

Sponsored Links
New to routers and brought m12ve from jobs recommendations and subsequent reviews. Although little to compare it to I am extremely impressed with it, its quieter than i would expect, powerful and smooth to use. I got it for my own oak worktops as well as future projects small and large. Im no expert but am happy with it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back