Stealing Land!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys ,

To cut a long storey short , I got a knotweed problem from some waste land behind my garden. I phoned the council and they said its not their land and they told me to go to the land registry office. i went there and they told me who the owner is , but unforntunatly the guy has passed away and his wife also. they had no kids and I have not been able to get any infromation on who inherrited it.

I have since been told that since this is the case that I can take as much of this land as i like and if i fence it off and maintain it for 7 years the land legally is mine.

has anyone else done this ?

Sponsored Links
I've heard of that before. Its only yours if noone complains during that time under some sort of medieval law.

Unscrupulous people tend to move their fence back slowly over time to steal forest/wasteland.

Ive known someone to do this, but i believe he waited 10 years. Check with your solicitor.

best to check, i was under the imprtession it was in double figures as well, but you have to be able to prove you have maintained it for that period, not very easy

Sponsored Links
A friend did this with part of a churchyard (part of the top of a retaining wall that the church wouldn't maintain) ... it was 11 years for full possession. Must be a maintained fence.

Id ask the land registry..if possible without actually letting them know who you are and where the land is...

Adverse Posession :idea: Was 10 years but the bastards have changed law now and you have to notify the owner that you are taking posession :rolleyes: .........Brill example opposite a M8`s house BUT the pratts who lived in the houses DID`NT bother to claim ...and the builders have now infilled and the Prats are overlooked big time :LOL: :LOL: Now, IF I`d lived there ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back