Unclaimed Land

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon All,

At the end of my garden their is a a plot of land of which is unregistered/unclaimed, with zero access and is fenced off. this is an ideal plot for me to build a summer house, but i dont want to build it and then be told i need to take it down again, especially as i will either have the expense of filling in the ditch, or creating a raised foundation for the summer house.

My neighbours have over the years taken up this land and my plot is the last to do so.

the plot is an old ditch that was used to drain the fields before sold to developers in the 60's and subsequently my house was built on.

the field beyond the ditch wasn't sold and the farmer never used it before renting it out to someone to store their horse.

The story goes from the previous owners is that originally the garden was half the size it is now (the garden is in 2 levels now) and was originally only the higher level, the lower level was owned by the farmer still but had this ditch running though the middle, so the farmer said to all the houses they can have the land upto the fence of the horse field, so the street duly took him up on the offer. however the owners of our house didn't want the hassle of filling in the ditch so only took upto this while the rest of the street took it all.

the previous owners have used this patch of land for storage and burning of items and made reference to this fact in the solicitors documentation, when i bought the house 2 years ago.

Developers have now purchased the horse field along with another field and will be building houses on there eventually and have stated they will do so in 2025, they do not own this old ditch according to land registry.

how do i go about claiming this?

Sponsored Links
Put a fence around it, document when you did it, then cross your fingers for 12(?) years.

Land in unknown ownership belongs to the Crown (government) I believe.

Blup

Yeah. do it, but don't invest too much money into it. A friend lived in a house like this, he thought about claiming the land but didn't - the new people did though. Was a new build estate, but a bit of waste ground was inaccessible and just left for some reason.

But I wouldn't build on it, that would attract a lot of attention. unless all neighbours already built on it.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys, I'll just put a fence round for now then and keep up the maintenance.

Once the developer has finished I'll do the summer house then. Provided I'm not told to pull the fence down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back