steamy windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house was built almost 15 years ago and the double glazed windows were made by John Carr, a company which is now obsolete. For the past year I have noticed that at least 3 windows seem to be steamed up inside between the double panes. It makes no difference if the ventilators are open or closed. It doesn't matter what the climatic conditions are either. The windows have a hardwood frame and we have the exterior painted about every 2 years. I know that most double glazing companies offer a 25 year guarantee, John Carr I think offered the same. I do not know if I have any redress and I am unsure which company took over and if they will accept responsibility. Can anybody advise?

Sponsored Links
If you read the small print you'll find that the sealed units would of only had a maximum 10 year warranty. This is because 10 years is realistically their lifespan unfortunately, anything more is a bonus. You have no choice but to replace the sealed glazing units. Some dubious fitters will claim to be able to re-seal them but this will be temporary at best and a false economy. Any decent glazier will sort you out with new sealed units and fit them. They shouldn't cost too much, like everything get some quotes. Trawl through the Windows & Doors section on here to find many similar threads with approx costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back