Steamy double glazing: replace or reseal?

16 Mar 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom
A couple of double glazed panes on my front window are "steaming up". Obviously, the seals have gone.
My options are:
- Replace the panes. Could be expensive, given they are large and have leading inside.
- Some companies offer to "reseal" such double glazing. Would probably be cheaper, but is it a reliable long term fix?
I welcome your recommendations and personal experiences on this topic.
Sponsored Links
If you search the forum for something like “double glazing condensation” I think you’ll find that the experts here are not enthusiastic about the possibilities of resealing. Not that I know anything myself...
if you can find your local "double glazing repairman" I think there is a good chance you will be pleasantly surprised how how cheap and easy it is. Mine are not very big but averaged around £50 a pane.

Personal recommendation is the best source.

An internet advertising website, where the traders pay to be listed and unfavourable reviews seldom appear, is not a personal recommendation.
Sponsored Links
I would be very surprised if anyone is resealing a clear sealed unit, the time it takes to take apart the old unit , clean it up enough , and then reseal will be cheaper to have a new unit. If it's a company offering to remove them then reseal them then I'm even more sceptical, as they have to visit your property several times ( remove old unit , take it away, then come to refit after resealing ) , they also need to factor in what they are going to put in the sealed units place whilst they are doing that. It is much more cost effective to have a completely new unit. The only time we would recommend ' stripping and resealing' is if there is something special about the decorative glass. For what it's worth we replace sealed units in wood, aluminium and pvc all the time , so trust me when I say it's not cost effective to strip and reseal
As a comment aside to actually stripping and resealing ..if the current unit is going ' milky ' , it's a new unit every time , as that's calciumification and you will never get rid of the marks may look like you have but a ' rainbow ' effect will always be present at certain lights and angles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local