Adjusting John Carr windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
W have John Carr doors in windows in wood-appearance upvc. They are approx 7 years old.

Adjusting the dors is relatively obvious via the hinges but I cannot find any way of adjusting the windows. I need to pull the opening window section in tighter to the frame to stop a draught.

Is there someting I'm not seeing please?

Sponsored Links
its possable that the friction stays that the windows pivot/open on have worn and need replacing ? if the windows dont shut properly at what would be the hinge side thats usualy a sign that this indeed is the case.

Thak you for the response Yandownie

Can't see any obvious wear in the "scissor" type hinges top and bottom

If it helps at all this is a bathroom window measuring about 1000 high 550 wide. It is hinged to and bottom on the right (lookin from inside).
The gap is on the left hand top corner. Not huge but enough to cause a draught when the wind is in the right quarter.

its impossable to see the wear on the scissor hinges,they just seem to stop functioning correctly,mine has done it twice in a few years in the same corner,new friction hinges cured it each time,we have to pull the window at an angle cos of where the bath is and i attribute this to the problem.no other windows in the house have the same problem.
when the hinge is worn the top corner doesnt locate in the frame properly when you close it leaving a slight gap for a draught on our window.
if your hinges are screwed on and not riveted you could do it yourself if your diy capable

Sponsored Links
I am now told that hinges for John Carr/Bolton & Paul plastic dg windows of that era (circa 2000) are no longer available. Does this mean I must pay or new windows?

After nearly 10 years since asking you still haven't replaced the hinges, how far away from the hinges are your tools? :D, As per Ronnie, post up some pics and we'll help source some

Lol good eyes Crank!
I would have said 8 times out of 10 assuming the draft is just on the hinge side of the window then a good dollop of Vasaline in the corner tabs of the hinges, Then open and close the window about 10 times will usually solve the problem.
After 10 years yours might be a bit too worn out for that trick now.

Actually if they are those really big odd hinges they might not event have the corner tabs? A pic would help jog my memory

bottom hinge.JPG top hinge.JPG

Thanx for all the interest

Hope these suffice

Ricky

Nothing special about them, They are just standard friction hinges.
Try my trick with the Vasaline lube (give the hinges a good clean first).

If they are too far gone for that post back and someone can talk you through ordering and fitting new ones

Many many thanks for the helpful responses

I did find (through a builder friend) a very honest windows man who came and inspected mine

His finding was that they were just a bad fit (down to John Carr's manufacture) and that putting on new hinges would have no effect at all
The windows just don't pull in tight to the draught strip and probably never have done

He added that they will do another 8-10years and unless I was going to stay in the house for another 25 years (which I'm not) it was not worth replacing all the windows. Just live with them

The Vaseline trick had no apparent benefit Mr Gazman but thanks for your efforts and kindness

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back