Steel 1930's casement windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have Steel 1930's casement windows. the front of the house (East facing) are single glazed (4mm?). The rear (West facing) had already been upgraded to double glazing (looks like 4-6-4mm).

I am considering upgrading the glass on the front of the house.

How much of a difference will it make / is it cost effective for improving the insulation of the house?

What glass is recommended, where is the value point in terms of spec? .e. argon filled/low E, etc

Thanks.

Looking at the Pilkington tables the existing windows would be c4.8 U value. And new 6mm double glazing would be 2.3-3.1 U.

Sponsored Links
Depends really what type of glass you are going to and how thick the units are going to be , as to what you can achieve u value wise. If you are having the entire frame replaced, the minimum u value you now put in is 1.6 anyway

If my memory serves me correct , Lowe e glasses don't work very well in thin 4-6-4 units , and imho , if your budget could stretch get new frames, having said that though the 4-6-4 units will be better than 4mm single!

Last edited:
Thanks. I was hoping to keep the existing frames. So would only be able to fit windows with a total width of 14mm (or 16mm at most).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back