Steel base conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the opinion on using a steel base to install a conservatory? Seems like an easier solution for the DIYer than the excavation required for a traditional base.

Sponsored Links
They,ve been tried by quite a few conservatory / double glazing companies over the years with varied degrees of success however most seem to revert back to the traditional method of building.
most recently ive seen a company in my neck of the woods offering diy porches involving a steel ring beam and stick on bricks ......
Having built / been responsible for the errection of 1000s of traditionally built conservatory bases over the years i would,nt recomend any other method.

Thanks for the reply.

There are several problems with the traditional method for me which is why I was interested in the metal base option. For one my neighbour has a huge conifer in her garden and the root system extends across my garden, which I imagine would make digging the foundations a pain. Secondly my house has no vehicle access to the rear and poor vehicle access to the front, so there is an issue with transporting large quantities of soil and concrete.

What are the problems with the steel base ones? Does the conservatory shift around or pull away from the wall? Are there issues with corrosion? Is it mainly a cosmetic thing i.e. the fake wall doesn't look or feel as nice as a proper dwarf wall?

James.

Sponsored Links
digging is never the easiest of tasks but the right tools make it easier
proper digging spade I use a fiskars and bulldog
pick axe
mattock
wrecking bar
fork
axe
sledge hammer
wheel barrow the gear round the front to the skip or for really poor access bucket the soil out and the concrete in.
I have an extension to start soon the footing is 17.2 ml around and 0.6m x 1.0m I've got to get the muck through a 600mm opening in a utility room all this will be done by bucket and gorilla tub concrete will be pumped all other materials carried by hand.
nothing is impossible with the right stamina and mental attitude.
call me old fashioned but I prefer the traditional way of building I'm not a fan of these steelbbase kits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back