Steel Bath Enamel Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

i have an 1800mm by 800mm steel bath. But some of the white enamel has come off in quite a few places and this "black gloss is now showing up".

I want a long lasting job, so as far as i can see, I have 3 choices:-

1. Repair the enamel myself (Remember i need it to last a long time!)
2. Get the whole bath resurfaced (Is this any good/long lasting?)
3. Get a new bath like-for-like, costing approx £300.

I need to know ASAP.

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
I would have a new bath. I've never been impressed by the re-surface jobbos, but others will disagree. Get a new bath!

I think it will be down to personal preference at the end of the day, and how much money your willing to throw at it.

I had an original cast iron bath, shot blasted, re-enameled and finished in a kiln and it came out absolutely cock on. I am made up with it. Not sure on how long it is going to last but i would hope that it is a good number of years as it was back to bare metal and a few coats of enamel applied.
The guy picked it up and dropped it off, but i was relatively local, <20 miles from him.

There is also a caveat that the bath could potentially crack when in the kiln, due to the change in temp.

I also looked into one of the kits <£100 to do it yourself, but didn't fancy doing more damage and it looking patchy.

Also enquired about getting a guy to come in and sand and re-enamel, circa £300, but after speaking to a few people they said it wasn't as good as it was cracked up to be and it could potentially leave some rough surfaces.
So you could end up with an in-built ar$e exfoliator, its not really my bag, but each to their own.

However to get it re-enameled costs about the same as getting 2 of your new like for like baths.

If you get rid of it or get it re-enameled, its a good sport getting it down the stairs.

Sponsored Links
Haha takes me back years ago I couldn't afford a new bath I'd just started working for myself so cash was tight so I bourght a kit to re-enamel the bath so I got started used a brush shaft made ball on the end and got started to my surprise a great job said in kit to leave for 24hours so at 6oclock went to pub for a couple of pints 2hours later was called by wife to say she was covered in thie White crap from the bath went home to find silly cow forgot I'd done the bath and got in it took weeks for the stuff to come off her probably had the whitest arse in the country haha

ROFLOL!!! Thats the funniest thing i have heard! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I couldn't be asked to re-enamel, so I've just got a new 3 piece bathroom suite...cost me bloody £500! . :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back