Steel Bath how to earth.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just moved in and found the following .

How do i earth the bath , do i connect the hot and cold pipes together and then the connect the cold pipe to earth point on the bath.

I also found the power to shower coming from the floo (pic 3).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You do not necessarily need to earth the bath. But you should get a good registered electrician in to look at your earthing arrangements then decide.

The power for the shower (I guess you mean the cable is running in the white plastic trunking shown in picture 3) is absolutely fine.

Under certain circumstances sup bonding is not required but under the regulation "belt and braces"
I would!
How old is the electrical system?
Are all the electrical circuits in the bathroom RCD protected?
Do you have main bonding between incoming services such as gas/electric/oil etc... linked back to the incoming earth?

Your cable that powers the shower is run in trunking, not a flow pipe.

Your cable that powers the shower is run in trunking, not a flow pipe.
When the OP said that the power 'came from the floo', I presume that (s)he just missed the 'r'and meant 'floor', not 'flow pipe'.

As regards the bonding of a metal bath, you might just be about to re-open a 'robust debate' (to which I have nothing new to add!) :)

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Under certain circumstances sup bonding is not required but under the regulation "belt and braces"
I would!

I see your point but I'm not sure I would classify that as belt & braces.
When all other conditions are met (main protective bonding in place - no possibility that the bath could become live directly or via the pipework)
Then there is an argument for & against making the bath equipotential with the pipework and by implication earthing the bath.

If I was standing in the bath while the shower developed an earth fault (phase - earth fault) then I might be thankful that I was not connected to earth via the bath. On the other hand, if the bath were at risk of becoming live (damaged cable running under it etc) then I would certainly make sure the bath had a low impedance connection back to the MET.

Now in the case of the OP it seems from the pictures that the pipework is copper but do they connect to plastic under the boards etc. I would want to look at these variables first then implement supplementary bonding or not based upon what I found.

Yes, I know I have started another controversial discussion :mrgreen:

As regards the bonding of a metal bath, you might just be about to re-open a 'robust debate' (to which I have nothing new to add!) :)

Oh dear, your post came in while I was typing my second. I humbly apologise for taking the lid of the worm can --- again! :LOL:

yes both the shower and light are rcd proected see pic 1

and pic2 shows earth connections at the bolier .

so do i still need to earth them or are they fine the why they are.

p.s it should be floor , is that safe to have a shower supply coming from the floor.?

all pipes are copper no plastic at all.

With a Continuity tester on the Ohms setting, test between each metal pipe
that enters the bathroom (Extraneous conductive parts) and the circuit
protective conductor (cpc/earth) of each electrical circuit in the bathroom.
If the reading is less than 1667ohms and all circuits are protected
by 30mA RCD’s then no Supplementary Bonding is required.
If any of the above requirements cannot be met, Supplementary Bonding
must be installed.

What rating is the shower?

What size its cable feed?

What size its MCB?

Cable feed 10.mm

40 amp for shower

5 amp for lights

not sure what rating the shower is

As you are back:

Looking at the picture of the CU there is not a label for shower.
Is it the unmarked MCB on the left or do you have a separate unit for the shower?

Just curious.

If you agree with the new regs that an RCD with a possible failure rate of 7% mitigates omitting supplementary bonding than you might decide not to do it

:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back