Steel beam and timber on top of it making my floor uneven.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

think i will just try and fix the uneven board rather than replace the entire floor

So we are redecorating our bedroom and we are going to replace the floor and insulate the pipes while we can.

T&G floor boards are down just now and i was going to replace it all with chipboard flooring. One problem that i see is that the boards run under the partition walls, what do i do, do i cut the board as close as i can and fit in some extra timber to support the new and floor.

There is also a large steel beam running through the room with a bit of timber on top of it and some insulation on it.

Frazer

The board above the pipes is covering the steel beam.

Will get a picture of the floor going under the partition wall once i get stuff moved about.

Sponsored Links
It will depend on which direction the walls run compared with the joist.
But would not keeping the boards be better than replacement with chipboard?

It will depend on which direction the walls run compared with the joist.
But would not keeping the boards be better than replacement with chipboard?

The walls run opposite the joists. The more i think about it probably.

I think the main part of the floor which is bad is above the steel beam where it is raised and bevelled, i think this is because the steel beam has a piece of wood on top of it and it is too thick causing the raised floor. Would it be ok to remove this, plane it down or something else, then just fit new floor boards?

Rezarf

Sorry, but you will have to look and think more closely.
(There must be at least two walls at right angles to each other, in the room, so the bearing requirements will differ.)
You need to determine whether the walls are sitting safely on existing floor boards, that if cut, would remain supported by joists at right angles, or whether the supporting floorboard would become unsupported where the wall bears on to it.
What is the purpose of the steel beam?
I am guessing that the "wood" on top of it was just inserted to make up the height so that it could act as an "additional" joist, in which case the wood could be adjusted and levelled.

Sponsored Links
took the carpet up for a closer look and lifted some floor boards.

the wood on top of the beam is there to make up height but it is too thick and has 2 floor boards joined over the top of it causing it to be uneven.

No idea what the steel beam is for but it has the floor joists sitting against it.

I think the best option would be to level the timber on top of the beam and put down some new floor boards make it nice and level, the only thing is the beam runs the length of the house, so would have to lift all the carpet and floor boards to access it properly.

Rezarf

so i'm going to just use a planer to level the timber on top of the steel beam, Should remove the nails before planing? or just hammer them down?

finally all done got the floor as level as i could due to other problems with installation of electrical wire and copper pipes.

Thanks god I could get an electric planer.

Rezarf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back