Steel garden shed - suitable for c.h.boiler & water pump

B

Belrose

:rolleyes:

This may not be the right forum ??

Our new house has a big concrete shed smack in the middle of the very small back garden ! We would love to get rid of it but it houses the central heating boiler and the water pump for a well. We are wondering whether one of the better quality prefabricated steel garden sheds would be adequate to house the boiler and pump ? Due to the layout of the house there isn't really any suitable space for the c.h. boiler inside.

Any advice gratefully received......

Sponsored Links
As long as it is dry and protected from frost it is ok and the pipes to and from your house are insulated your sorted.
Lucky one last night with San marino eh?
Peadair

what type of boiler is it?

combi or open flue boiler. it will be fine as long as its water tight, if its too cold in winter then make sure its got a frost stat built in or you could have problems....

consider ventilation if its an open flued boiler.

hope this helps.

by the way where are the pipes for the boiler ... under ground?

matt..... corgi man

Sponsored Links
:D

Ta very much Fluffster and Matt 73. Yes, the boiler is open flue, oil fired.
The present pipes all run underground and would just be re-routed to a new smaller shed at the side of the garden. The manufacturers do insulated sheds if required. I guess they would also cut a hole for the flue if given the info at the time of ordering.

:oops: Matt - cd you explain about the frost stat please - is it something which would make the boiler turn on and warm up the shed if the temp dropped too low ? Or turn some other heat source on ? Or am I talking rubbish.......

:oops: Pete - don't know nuffink about footie and asked Him-who-knows-Everything. After perusal of the sports pages in the Daily Mail he reports that the Greens got a crucial goal in extra time, so yes, that was lucky ! ;)

in my humble oppinion you will need insulation
as anybody with a tin shed or plastic roofed shed will tell you you can get terrible condensation once the heat source has been removed[body or heater] and the air cools down it can be like rain as the dropletts roll down hill and fall off the lowest point

and the frost stat opperates just abouve freezing and usualy starts up the boiler [or other heat source] which in turn will heat up the radiators untill the frost stat turns back off

yes thats what a frost stat will do...

some modern boilers have them built in. they are not essential but what it will do will stop any cold water from freezing within the boiler. its probably not very likely that the water temp in the boiler will get that low with regualr use but if you left it off for a day or so it is possibly that in very cold conditions water could freeze in the boiler / heat exchanger etc.

the frost stat is just wired in to bring the boiler on if the temperature drops too low....

hope this helps

matt

Many thanks big-all and matt 73.

Yes, we know about condensation problems - the present block built shed has a metal roof with a wooden beam across the centre. The wooden beam is rotting...... We originally thought the puddle on the floor was from a leak in the roof but realised it was the condensation dripping off the beam.
My other half is a bit worried about a steel shed but the suppliers seem to have various linings which may or not cope with the problem. We will suss it out thoroughly before we go down that route !

Thanks also for info about frost stats. In cold weather we have the boiler come on for several hours from midnight. When we move in permanently we will probably leave the c.h. on permanently in cold weather. We have always found that not only does it keep the house much more comfortable but does not use any more fuel as the boiler cuts out more frequently and doesn't have to roar away for hours to bring the temperature up from scratch.

Thanks again chaps.
Bel ;)

belrose why not fit a cabin pack[warmflow] or fit an external boilerhouse plenty of the merchants do them ask for the housing excutive model,it is insulated and has a light fitted for the service engineer.plenty of options for you, as you have a well pump as well get a seperate on for that about £235

note on the frost stat*

if you have to put a manual f.stat in, put a pipe stat in aswell as the boiler could potentially keep running constantly.

a pipe stat tells the boiler to switch off when the pipes have reached temp.

:) Thanks, ELZ4742. Good tip about the pipe stat !

:oops: bripl - sorry but you have lost me ! What is a 'cabin pack' ? What would I look under in 'Yellow Pages' for an external boilerhouse (bearing in mind that I am in Ireland and they might not be available).

Thanks ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back