Adding a kitchen sink to a garden shed/workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently looking into getting a shed/workshop space built at the bottom of the garden, and it would be nice to be able to have running water and a kitchen sink - though no need for a toilet/shower etc.

The issue is that the location is about 25m from the house, where the water and drains are, and it's downhill all the way - probably about a 3-6 feet drop.

So I assume I'd need a water pipe down and a grey water pipe back up - and I guess both would have to be buried (it's earth/soil all the way, so just digging rather than any concrete to battle with)? I'd also need some kind of pump to get the grey water uphill to the sewer?

So the obvious questions - is this about the size and shape of it? Am I missing anything, or are there any shortcuts to achieving this? And how long is a piece of string what is the (very rough) cost for something like this going to be?

(My guess is that this is going to be something I end up not being able to afford to do, but it's nice to know if there are options...)

Sponsored Links
thinking out load

a water butt near roof level to feed the sink and secondary source to water the garden
a smaller water butt with overflow at the top 2" below sink "U"bend to collect grey water to water the garden

It'd mostly be for home brewing stuff, so soap, water, beer dregs etc. The water coming in would need to be 'food-grade' though!

Sponsored Links
It'd mostly be for home brewing stuff, so soap, water, beer dregs etc. The water coming in would need to be 'food-grade' though!
assuming 40 pint kits
may be easiest to fill 75% full at the house and add cold or hot water from the house at the shed via container to bring it from memory about 72% to ferment
heat boxes are far cheaper to maintain at a specific temperature rather than the whole building

assuming 40 pint kits
may be easiest to fill 75% full at the house and add cold or hot water from the house at the shed via container to bring it from memory about 72% to ferment
heat boxes are far cheaper to maintain at a specific temperature rather than the whole building

Yeah - moving the water is an option - say with a caravan water roller drum - but I'm doing 5 gallon all-grain batches, so I'm needing 40L+ each batch... plus a cooling coil is a nice feature to have which needs extra water that can flow - and I'm really just wondering what the requirements, effort and cost would be to do it 'proper' so I can be lazy about it! :D

to be honest if its fully for your own consumption or freinds and family
its a lot off hard work
steralize all barrels bottles and containers
transfer from brewing container to bottles
decant leaving sediment from brewing to new bottles
you then choose to drink within a few day or a spoonful off sugar for seconder fermentation
trust me its a worthwhile choice if you have no money no family and spare time otherwise its a fad that will cost you about 200-£300 to set up and get bored with quickly

Excluding labour, the kitchen sink/taps etc and assuming you already have power in the shed, I would think £250 would cover a couple of 25m rolls of plastic pipe (15 & 22mm), a shower macerator/pump and assorted fittings.

Excluding labour, the kitchen sink/taps etc and assuming you already have power in the shed, I would think £250 would cover a couple of 25m rolls of plastic pipe (15 & 22mm), a shower macerator/pump and assorted fittings.
If I understand the situation correctly it's a fairly long run uphill to the drainage so don't think that sort of pump will cut it.
Talk to Dab about their Novabox (?) Nice and easy to clean out.

If I understand the situation correctly it's a fairly long run uphill to the drainage so don't think that sort of pump will cut it.
Talk to Dab about their Novabox (?) Nice and easy to clean out.

Thanks - thats useful to know. They seem to be around £300.

In terms of running the pipe, I assume it would need buried to deal with cold temps etc. How deep would it need to be? Is it just a case of digging a trench or would it need lined or something? (I assume this would be a big cost saver if i diy'ed it).

to be honest if its fully for your own consumption or freinds and family
its a lot off hard work
steralize all barrels bottles and containers
transfer from brewing container to bottles
decant leaving sediment from brewing to new bottles
you then choose to drink within a few day or a spoonful off sugar for seconder fermentation
trust me its a worthwhile choice if you have no money no family and spare time otherwise its a fad that will cost you about 200-£300 to set up and get bored with quickly

I've been brewing kits and all grain for nearly 20years now, usually at least once a month or so - usually I do it at thr back door by the kitchen, but there's a lot of setup and take down each time (and its not an ideal location). And yes, it's definitely about the enjoyment of brewing than a cost daving exercise (though it does make tasty and cheap pints!)

I now have the money, time and space for a workshop (which will get used for a wide variety of things) and am just trying to work out if the plumbing option is viable, or if i should just focus on it being a workshop and keep brewing how I'm brewing. It's sounding like it could actually be possible and affordable, but I'll need to get an actual quote now...

The MI's for the pump should give you all the parameters you need to know. Might have a gander myself :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back