kitchen sink pipe overflows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Any help on this appreciated. Nothing is too obvious - I know nothing about plumbing.

Under the kitchen sink. When a lot of water goes down the plughole (e.g. sink full of water and then released), there is a pipe underneath which overflows. Look at 19 seconds in on
this video I made.

(Ignore the leak from right under the plug for now). Should that grey tee pipe at the back have an open part? Is it as simple as getting some sort of stopper for that? Because surely the water should just flow down under gravity anyhow

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
because somebody has taken the cap off it.

That's a double sink pipe.
Have you got a double sink?
If so, you need a strainer for the other bowl, connected to that open grey pipe.
If you only have a single bowl sink, get rid of the grey pipe and connect strainer to mini stack (white pipe)

As said, no. What you have there is a 'waste kit' for a 1 1/2 bowl sink, (i.e. with 2 plugholes). Assuming you dont have a 1 1/2 bowl sink then you need to remove the grey part, fit a new waste, (https://www.screwfix.com/p/stainless-steel-strainer-waste-1-bowl-90mm/9411k). Then refit the trap to this, and reconnect the trap outlet to the existing outlet with a section of pipe and bend(s) to suit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much! Quick question, if you don't mind..

I do only have a sink with one plughole, yes. Instead of having the trap right under the waste bowl, do you think I could keep the grey horizontal pipe? So, keep the trap where it is. And then, because the grey corner bit which water flows out of is detachable, just replace that - with a closed corner bend piece. Do they have parts like that? Cheers

The grey waste setup comes as a complete kit, you may be able to get spares possibly, but normally in the event of an issue, it's easier to replace the lot. I am not aware of a bend that would be suitable to replace the Tee with the missing piece sadly, McAlpine do caps for waste pipes but I dont think they're the same thread as you've got.

Usually those grey pipes that come with sinks go straight in the bin for me.
A mcalpine strainer and fittings costs peanuts but never leak in my experience.

Thanks very much! Quick question, if you don't mind..

I do only have a sink with one plughole, yes. Instead of having the trap right under the waste bowl, do you think I could keep the grey horizontal pipe? So, keep the trap where it is. And then, because the grey corner bit which water flows out of is detachable, just replace that - with a closed corner bend piece. Do they have parts like that? Cheers

One of these will screw on, it's the same thread as the trap on the other end of the grey tee.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/McALPINE-1-p-BLANKING-CAP-WITH-NUT-T23-/293588382866

Cap.PNG

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If the grey horizontal really runs uphill you will be changing it soon anyway.

Do it once, do it right.
Get rid of grey pipe and grey strainer and use mcalpine fittings.
Then you won't have to worry about it until you change your kitchen.

that's a great help, cheers guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back