Overflow pipe under kitchen sink leaking - what should I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
From time to time some water appears to come out from an overflow pipe just above where the water enters the u-bend trap under the kitchen sink. This property has been recently acquired and is awaiting renovation. We think that the people who lived there before had a washing machine to the right of the sink, and it was somehow attached to the leaking pipe. The water is not turrned off at the main.

Two photos below. As you will see, there is a bit of limescale underneath the end of the pipe. Should I just collect the water, or is this indicative of some other sort of issue with the plumbing? What should I do?

Thank you,
Edward

Attachments

• P1860378.JPG
    P1860378.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 78
  • P1860379.JPG
    P1860379.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 82
Sponsored Links
The part that sticks out horizontally is an inlet for an appliance waste hose to connect to.
It needs blocking off.

Thank you, Terryplumb. I bought 32mm and 40mm blocking off plugs (cheap enough, and not sure of the size). Have unscrewed the ring, but cannot pull the rest out. Seems to be some part of a plastic bag has been used to make the connection extra tight. Alas it is too much for my 60-year-old hands to unscrew, and in that space it is a bit awkward to get good leverage. Should I try to pull on it using pliers, cut it with a saw, or what/ Any ideas most welcome (see photo below).

Attachments

• P1870172.JPG
    P1870172.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 32
Unscrew the top and bottom nut and take the T piece out. Will then be easier to work on.

Sponsored Links
To do the job properly you need to:
1. Purchase a McAlpine blanking plug type 228532.
2. Remove that white plastic spigot from the vertical pipe into which it is stuck.
3. Clean out the inside of the hole in the vertical pipe.
4. Insert the blanking plug, and screw the white plastic retaining nut back on. The spigot stays in place. The blanking plug seals the connection.

At a guess someone has put a bit of plastic bag over the end of the spigot to seal it, then screwed the ring back on. Over time the plastic bag has ruptured.

The spigot and plastic bag should pull straight out. Try wriggling the small end of the spigot in a circular motion to see if it helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back