Outdoor garden office/studio sink

If she's having students in this office / workshop it becomes a business and not a hobby and you're facing the appropriate business legislaation

Sponsored Links
Exactly the same as a bathroom, hang it on the wall and pipe out through the wall, know you have concerns with that but done right and there won`t be any damp or cold air coming in.

Just checked having done similar ourselves.
Any construction that comprises sleeping accom or appliances where by connection to a main sewer/drainage system is required will need building regulation approval.
Makes building a garden room a massive nightmare.

Sponsored Links
Just checked having done similar ourselves.
Any construction that comprises sleeping accom or appliances where by connection to a main sewer/drainage system is required will need building regulation approval.
Makes building a garden room a massive nightmare.

Well that solves that. I'm not connecting to mains so I don't need to concern myself with that.
So.... If I fitted a good looking sink and tap, is there any way of using a pump to pump water through the tap from a storage container below to simply drain into a waste below next to it. Empty the water in the evening. Refill the water in the morning. It's just nicer than a jug.

I agree. Think your best bet is going to be looking at caravan set ups if you don't want a permanent installation.

Over the top IMO. Pumps, drain connections ,building control.

For a bucket or so of slightly soapy water a day in a garden I'd dig a smallish soakaway, regs or no. Might not even bother to dig if there's a bush handy.

Massage and pedicure!
Where's your wife's Zen at?
An attractive earthenware bowl and jug or two would Feng shui her Yin in harmony with her Yang :)

Aquaheat - you suggested a drinking dispenser but in my original message I mentioned dirty water so clearly you haven't read it!!
I've already said I need a tap and I won't be using much water. Water won't be particularly dirty (no food stuff and no solids). Drinking, hand rinse and water for massage and pedicure just looks nicer to pour from a sink than a jug. Also the physical sink could be used for very light rinsing and washing of equipment.

Your OP was most definitely read and it contained very little information of any use. It said nothing of what the water would be used for. My suggestion was based on needing a drinking water supply. It took 14 posts for you to finally reveal that it is a beauticians type business that you would be running from there. You have also mentioned that this would be used for drinking, washing and sterilising equipment, and hand washing. As this will be ran as a business and clients/students will be drinking from the tap then a mains feed will most likely be required. You should also be providing hot water from tap for hand wash as boiling a kettle is not suitable for this.

There is more required if operating any form of business than you seem to realise even if it is on an occasional basis. You would be best off running mains cold water to the unit, fitting a proper sink with either an over sink or under sink water heater for dedicated hand wash. That way you have provision for drinking water from the mains and also a dedicated means of sanitising hands and preventing any forms of contamination. Who wants to be messing with dirty feet then picking the kettle up to boil it, spreading germs everywhere you touch until the kettle has boiled and you finally wash your hands.

Do the job once, do it properly and you and your wife will be a lot happier. You seem to have spent a few quid on the unit so why try to cut corners now?

Jon

You should also be checking the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations to check out your obligations and duties. As this will be operating as a business you will have to comply with everything that is applicable to you otherwise you could be leaving yourself wide open to claims and prosecution for non compliance.

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back