STEEL PIPES

L

longdogs

I am currently re-fitting a bathroom and need to connect the existing steel pipes ( which measure 7/8ths" over the pipe itself) to copper in order to fit a modern bath and WC etc. The pipes have been in place for about 50 years and obviously have 50 years worth of paint on them.

I have purchased a fitting which should do the trick but would welcome any advice as I have not done this before. I would imagine that the procedure would be as follows:

Cut the steel pipe with a hacksaw above the the nearest fitting, undo the pipe with a pipe wrench while holding the fitting in place. Remove the old fitting. PTFE around the thread of the new fitting and screw in then connect copper pipe using the compression side.

Sounds straight forward but know that plumbing usually isn't. Would it help to heat the old fitting first or should I just go for it with the wrench?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
Have fun :LOL:

Imagine your worst nightmare and then double it, you are about to find out all about plumbing in the real world.

if you can get the water out of the pipe heat the fitting only, tap around the fitting with a hammer (read hard) but dont damage anything, ok so now your ready to crush (sorry unscrew) the pipe with the stillsons if your lucky.

putting it back is easy, assuming you managed to get this far.

ptfe the joints as you said.

Suggest using a second pair of stillsons to hold the pipe/fitting which will remain, 'cause if this starts to turn you may get a leak at the other end.

Sponsored Links
Good luck was with me! After further investigation, found that a separate mains into the house had been fitted and the steel pipes had been shut off, so did a few reconnections and totally bypassed the dreaded steel. Having said all that, I still intend to have a go tomorrow undoing the now drained pipes.

Thanks

for the comments

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back