steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi the builder has ordered a steel UC 152x152x30 which on the internet says 30kg per m and mine is 4.4m. So roughly around 130kg. I am getting a few mates round to get it in the house as this cuts down on money i have tp pay the builder for him to hite stuff etc.
This weight sounds like something that can be managed with a few bods or am i been a bit optimistic.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Bit of a vague question, isn't it , divingmoose ?

If it's three mates and they weigh eight stone with proportionate muscles, then no go. if it's eight mates from the rugby team then it's probably easy*

* well , that depends how far to carry it, if they have to go up stairs, lift it above their heads etc.

Go on, make it easier for people to answer, it won't cost you anything.

Sorry was vague and in a rush at the time of posting, its to get onto 1st floor of the house and just wondered how many of the hairy arsed rugby team it may take

As a pretty broad rule of thumb one person can lift 20-25kg at best assuming its close to them and at waist height.. so your looking at a team of 8 guys or so maybe 10 if you need to get it up stairs etc..

Consider craning it in at high level or splicing the steel

Sponsored Links
To continue this vauge theme, all I know is when you buy something heavy at put it in your wagon, it weighs twice as much when you unload it the next day...

As a pretty broad rule of thumb one person can lift 20-25kg at best assuming its close to them and at waist height.. so your looking at a team of 8 guys or so maybe 10 if you need to get it up stairs etc..

Consider craning it in at high level or splicing the steel

I think the legal limit on site these days is 25kg per person, hence the smaller bags of cement etc...but as you're a DIYer that doesn't really apply...

Anyway, when I worked for a steel fabricators we would often carry 200kg staircases between two of us, and I'm 5'8" and 11 stone! I'm not exaggerating :!:

Although, getting your beam into position at first floor level might need a few more hands on deck...or hire a genie lift...

Two of us normally manage a 23kg/m beam of up to 3.5m OK

The thing is, you are not lifting all the weight all the time. Its the way you offer it up to the bearings which matters

The more people you have, the more awkward it is.

A 4200x127x150 concrete beam for block and beam floor weighs in at 145kg.
Two good lads can carry and place them if required, but the third lad will make life a lot easier.
We reckon three lads can carry and lift to place at waist height 150kg without any problem.
If they do have a problem, they go through the hole in the hedge.
Anyone who says any different, has not been out there doing it.
oldun :D

20-25kg is manual handling regs, not what people can lift.

Me and a mate lifted my 90kg beam into my 3m high opening on ladders. Right at my limit and H&S would have had a fit.

284040736-axebuilder-albums-miscellaneous-picture52670-holy-thread-resurrection-batman.jpg

How the hell did I reply to a 6 year old thread?! I'm on here most days so only look at the first page..... wonder if he lifted the steel?!

++++++++++++++++++++
because a spam post was written (it has since been removed)
++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back