Steering lock replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from K reg (93) Fiesta 1.1LX "unauthorised" trip :evil: , I need to replace the steering lock. The scumbags don't appear to have damaged the ignition as the key still works and starts the engine, but it is obvious that they have broken some teeth and the lock, which now fails to engage at all.
Does anyone know how to change a steering lock? Is it integral to the ignition cyclinder (as it disengages with the key) and is the car safe to drive or could the steering lock suddenly engage whilst driving :cry:
I have looked in Haynes and it doesn't give any description on how to access the steering lock :confused: I can only assume that access is gained by taking the steering wheel off. :?:

Sponsored Links
I haven't changed the lock on a Fiesta but most are similar.

Leave the steering wheel on if possible, take off the plastic shroud, remove the screw holding the loom to the back. You will see 2 sheer bolts (bolts with heads snapped off which resemble flat discs about 1/2inch in diameter) You need a very small chisel or dot punch to undo these. The lock can now be removed. You can take the barrel out by turning the key to position 1(usually) and pressing in a pip under the lock.

I would suggest you replace the lot as it could be dangerous otherwise.

A car breakers will have one already removed but you will need 2 new sheer bolts from a main dealer. When refitting make sure the lock works properly before you snap the sheer bolts, you may have to centralise it first.

On some cars the lock is part of the column.

The whole job takes about 1/2 an hour. As I said I haven't done a Fiesta but most are broadly along these lines.

Remove the shrouds, remove the steering wheel, remove the indicator/wiper stalk assembly (philips screw on the top), undo the 4 thirteen mm nuts and slide it over the the column shaft.
It comes complete with the column 'tube' on a fiesta.
The steering wheel will also be knackered due to broken teeth.

Thanks for your reply knackers.
I have priced a used replacement lock for £60.
I hope to take out the lock at the w/e but was hoping the part wouldn't have cost a quarter of the cars value!
Question is, can the steering be safely operated without a steering lock? I have a Stop lock Pro for use with the car now so the additional steering lock isn't really necessary for lockings sake......

Sponsored Links
It won't be a problem providing you still use the key as normal.

As a precautionary measure I would remove the steering wheel and check that the teeth arent cracked and liable to break off, easy to spot though, and if they are then remove them with plyers.

Cheers Knackers,
I have managed to source the steering wheel and locking mechanism for £30 all in delivered, so will be fitting next week. Hopefully should all go smoothly :confused:

Quick update, thanks to everyone for their comments, especially knackers. Job carried out successfully yesterday - and the wheels still turn the right way when i turn the wheel :p

Dustyy said:
Quick update, thanks to everyone for their comments, especially knackers. Job carried out successfully yesterday - and the wheels still turn the right way when i turn the wheel :p
For now ..... extended test, under all driving conditions ? ;)

Point taken, test drive didn't seem to raise any concerns. will be doing a more extensive test over the w/e. I also referred to the Haynes manual which classed the work as suitable for a competent DIYer. I can see the argument of 'competence' rising again........ :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back