Steering lock removal Ford KA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question!!
How do I remove the steering lock from a 1990 Ford KA that doesn't have central locking?
I've bought a car that was a finance company repossession and I have no keys. I've bought a new lock set, does the locking pin have to be pulled out, or pushed in? I've tried pushing it in, but it won't budge, but how can it be pulled out as it's tightly recessed?
I'd be grateful of some help.
Also, any hints on reprogramming the key would be useful, I have a schedule from another site involving leaving the ignition on for 45 minutes for 3 times etc., is this the way to do it?

Sponsored Links
best bet- take an original door lock barrel into your local ford dealer and ask them to strip it to reverse engineer the key code. its quite easy. then get them to cut a new key to code. they may ask for proof of ownership of the car. regards programming, the only way that works if you have no original keys is to program a new set with wds2000. as a dealer we usually charged about 2 hours labour to do this (subject to proof of ownership :D )

edit: 2 hours labour cost included cutting keys, stripping/rebuilding lock and programming, basically leave you with a working car and a set of keys

usually worked out at less than the cost of a lock set. the original keys are deleted from the immobilisor memory if you ask them to, stops the last owner stealing it if you know what i mean.

When I worked at a cpl of Ford Dealerships (1990's) we were able to get the original key number from the OASIS computer system, using chassis number etc. Ford have a database of details of each vehicle. Worth getting them to check as it used to give details of any outstanding recall work etc.

Not sure if it's still the same. If so, you wouldn't need to strip out a door lock.
Ask your local ford service dept about this then proceed as Davie says as programming with WDS (FDS in my day) is the only way to get new keys

cheers

CJ

Sponsored Links
Back