Car security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's more in the news today about how easy it is for thieves to steal cars. It beggars belief that the automotive and electronics industries can't get get together and produce something better.
But my question is about steering locks. All the cars I've owned or driven recently had a mechanical one on the ignition key, so if the thief got access to the electronics he wouldn't be able to drive away without a key. Do more modern cars no longer have steering locks, or do they have an electromagnetic device, released via the hacked electronics, so rendered practically useless?

Sponsored Links
A mixture. Some still have purely mechanical steering locks, others have electromechanical locks. However, cars have had mechanical steering locks for decades and people have still nicked them - so they're not the answer. Like you, I am surprised (appalled even!) at the number of ways a modern vehicle can be "hacked". The EU has brought in some new "cybersecurity" regulations - already applying to vehicles being newly type approved today, but by July 2024, all mass-produced vehicles in the EU will have to comply. Not sure what Britain is doing yet. DfT haven't said whether they will adopt the same requirements.

Thanks for that, new regs (if they're effective) can't come too soon! But I'm curious - how can a car with mechanical steering lock be driven off without a key? Short of pulling it on to a trailer.

Sponsored Links
Yes, that's the most common. Just grab an armful of lock, and really wrench on the wheel.

The new regs will be very much a two-edged sword. These fora are packed with threads moaning about how complex modern cars are, and how it's almost impossible to work on them without plugging in a computer. Well, all I can say, is that when these regs start to bite...

..."we ain't seen nothing yet"!

In a way, it plays into the hands of the major manufacturers who, for years, have been trying to make things difficult for the non-franchised repairers and aftermarket goods manufacturers. These regs will be all their Christmases come at once! :cry:

If they want it they'll have it.
All the time i have the option i Won't have a keyless as soooooo easy to steal.
If car has key ignition. Almost as easy snap steering lock with new key in ignition then ODB program a new one.
We're end up back to aftermarket alarms and steering wheel locks again!!

If they want it they'll have it.
All the time i have the option i Won't have a keyless as soooooo easy to steal.
If car has key ignition. Almost as easy snap steering lock with new key in ignition then ODB program a new one.
We're end up back to aftermarket alarms and steering wheel locks again!!
If the steering lock is not strong enough to do much good, the obvious solution is to beef it up substantially, and have a weak point in the column which breaks before the lock, and makes the car undriveable. Something replaceable in a couple of hours work, but too much trouble for thieves.

It is keyless cars that are targeted simply because once you have cracked the ignition, you have automatically cracked the steering lock too.

Aftermarket security!

Something like a Disk-Lock makes scumbags think twice, sure it can be overcome but that takes time & makes a noise in the process.
Me? I stick to older cars ;)

My mates son had an Audi RS5. His mate was a copper and told him to get a Disk-Lock fitted as thieves were targeting their area. He went out and got one and the very next morning, he woke up and his car was gone. Funny thing was, my mate heard something going on outside the house in the early hours but CBA to get up and look out of the window. His insurance paid out and he got another one as well as another Disk-Lock. So far he's managed to hang on to it.

My mates son had an Audi RS5. His mate was a copper and told him to get a Disk-Lock fitted as thieves were targeting their area. He went out and got one and the very next morning, he woke up and his car was gone. Funny thing was, my mate heard something going on outside the house in the early hours but CBA to get up and look out of the window. His insurance paid out and he got another one as well as another Disk-Lock. So far he's managed to hang on to it.
Cordless disc cutter probably, scumbags :mad:
There's a lot of CBA about these days, maybe one day it will be your mate's car & no-one will bother to look.

Cordless disc cutter probably, scumbags :mad:
There's a lot of CBA about these days, maybe one day it will be your mate's car & no-one will bother to look.
He's already lost his Kuga once. The police found it very quickly, about 5 days I think but his insurance had already paid him out by then!

Sponsored Links
Back