Cdyson - can you edit & add new topic title here

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, need some help with my car!

I've noticed a few people have had a very similar problem as me. When I bought the car 8 months ago, it only came with one key as the other one would not start the engine, I was told it needed reprogramming.

Recently, when you put the key in the ignition and turn it once (so the time & dash board lights come on), the immobiliser light does not turn off. Instead, it remains on (doesnt flash or blink, just fully on). Every now and then, instead of it remaining fully on it would just blink like crazy. When you then turn the key around the full way to start the engine, nothing happens at all. In fairness you can hear a click in the fuse box by the passenger door, but that always clicks...even every time the wipers move it would click.

In addition to this, the car likes to turn itself off mid journey...it doesnt stall, the power just goes. Normally the battery light comes on at this point, sometimes the electric light and I lose power steering too. Once this happens, I can't turn it on until I leave it...sometimes it will work after 5 mins, sometimes after 5 days.

I should also let you know that the button on the key works fine. It opens and locks the door with the central locking and has recently had a new battery installed.

Does anyone know what the hell is going on with it?! Someone has said to me I need a new wiring loom, but he was just guessing.

Another problem with it (which seems to have been fixed), is that mid journey the car WOULD stall and the revs would start searching. Some, if not all power in the acceleration would go and again, it would not turn on unless you would wait for a while. On several occasions the car would stall while waiting at lights with my foot completely off the accelerator too. I have noticed that the rev gauge is fairly inconsistant when at a standstill, and likes to flicker around a little bit. A mechanic replaced the fuel potentiometer - it did happen a few times after but not seems to have stopped.

I wonder if the two problems above are related? If so, what do I check?

Some people have said check the receptor near your windscreen for water damage, others about a metal ring in the ignition, some say about an earth cord or wire needing replacing and others have spoken about a new wiring loom/throttle assembly.

Pleaseeeeee give me a hand on this! I dont have enough money to replace all of those things!

Thanks,
Charlie

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sounds like 2 seperate problems but i will help with the immobiliser one!
There are various problems with renaults and immobilisers, from water ingress to not recognising the key. Take a look at the link below and have a read and see if it helps, it may sound expensive to buy a bypass kit etc but any time spent at a dealers or mechanics it will be costly too.

http://www.immobiliser-unlock.co.uk/index.html

Back