Keyless entry and what will happen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All new to me, but I do remember problems with car alarms which could disable a car while it was being driven.

It seems with a manual car no so much of a problem, but with automatic as the gear is changed then the engine stops turning and power steering is lost and the brakes have limited applications before assistance is lost.

I remember some vehicles have an electric motor that cuts in to maintain power steering, although this was not a car.

So if while sitting in say a caravan the keys are close enough to allow some one to take the car what happens as they drive it away?

Sponsored Links
It's not just that issue and the proximity of where you store the key when at home or visiting somewhere, consider theft too. Only solution seems to be a Faraday pouch for your key. Which defeats the whole point to me! As you still need to get the key out of your pocket and take it out of the pouch! https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...t=&hvlocphy=1007173&hvtargid=kwd-389727481831
Google the theft bit, I don't suppose that will increase your enthusiasm! :)

On an automatic the engine doesn't stop when the gear changes. My ex AA friend tells me thieves can do something via the OBD port to enable the car to start once it's been stopped. Presumably you just use the stop start button without needing the key. Somehow you get a new key cut. Auto locksmith was telling me he'd cut new keys for a BMW where the owners had lost them. One day we'll go back to keys.

Sponsored Links
Won’t ever go back to keys the future will be an app on your phone that has code given to you by the manufacturer.

Once a keyless car has been started it will run until turned off by the driver (safety feature).

That's how they steal them with the "repeaters", once in and started they're off.

Ford suffered badly with the OBD hack, plenty of Focus RS's stolen that way unfortunately.

Our Kuga has keyless ignition but deadlocking by the remote and alarmed so not as easy as some (hopefully!).

deadlocking by the remote and alarmed so not as easy as some (hopefully!)

From triggering the alarm, to the vehicle leaving, 18 seconds... (a Focus ST)

Move/disable/cover your OBD port. Moving it, but leaving the original in place as a non-working dummy would probably make them abandon their attempt, but then you still have a smashed window to sort out, so get a Disklok also, and hopefully they won't even bother trying.

Has anyone ever read any article why this was introduced ? I imagine it was as a sales-aid to entrance the customer, but wonder to what extent the concomitant problems/weaknesses were envisaged ( certainly to some extent, I would think ). I also don't really understand the point of an electronic boot-lock ( just lock, no opening device ) as I can't imagine a cost-saving and I can imagine electronic screw-ups .

I think its a case of 'where can we go to now' technology wise......I guess it has advantages because if I need to shift 'er indoors car there's no way I'm delving into her handbag :eek: I'm just not brave enough.
So, I grab the bag, stand near the car so I can unlock it then stick it on the passenger seat so I can start up.
John :)

Anything for a gimmick these days. The salesmen used to point out the cup holders, now it's the 12" touch screen.
I want a car that glides over Surrey's pothole strewn roads in comfort, little more.

I want a car that glides over Surrey's pothole strewn roads in comfort, little more.

There - another surprise! Having hardly ever been to Surrey, I thought the roads were tended to by bowling-green engineers and that there was an inset fillet of gold to mark the edge of the kerb.

We in Surrey are supposed to have the worst roads in the UK for potholes. Surrey County Council seems to have frittered all the money away on vanity projects.

Sponsored Links
Back