More Bureaucratic bunkum to make our lives a misery.

Yes she has the 1972 Pontiac big block 400 cubic inch/6.6 litre V8. Coupled together with extra duration cam shafts and 4 branch manifolds and 'shaker scoop' active scoop which opens up when the secondary carb butterflies open. About 380 horsepower when after the rebuild 3 years ago. Yes somebody robbed the badge off the front but these pics are a few years old now so it's all sorted!

Sponsored Links
Yes she has the 1972 Pontiac big block 400 cubic inch/6.6 litre V8. Coupled together with extra duration cam shafts and 4 branch manifolds and 'shaker scoop' active scoop which opens up when the secondary carb butterflies open. About 380 horsepower when after the rebuild 3 years ago. Yes somebody robbed the badge off the front but these pics are a few years old now so it's all sorted!

Thanks for the photos and info. That's quite a spec. Definitely worth all the effort for the driving pleasure.

Sponsored Links
Nice car BHM.

I always preferred the 2nd Gen Firebird.......oh for a lottery win....first purchase would be a 70's firebird in Brewster Green like John Waynes in McQ :cool:

Yes the MOT test was originally intended for checking those things but car technology has come a long way since then! It has to be relevant to today's cars. I would say that some of those if not all of the extra checks are vital to cars which have the tech fitted.

And cars have become a lot safer, so we increase safety and increase safety checks.

The one thing that really should be checked regularly, which is responsible for the most accidents is ignored. The driver.

Time to buy a 1958 Morris Minor - no MOT ,No tax required:cool:

Part of the trouble is also the over reliance on computer diagnostics. If the computer doesn't know or mis-diagnoses the fault, then often they're stumped. Then it's often a case of part swapping.

Mind you, that's not that new a phenomenomenomenomenom.

Talking of D plates, I had a Maestro VDP on a D, cracking motor, but the ECU went t!ts up. The BL dealer wanted multi-100's for a new ECU.

My mate took it apart and found a dry joint. One new resistor, value 20p, later and all was well!

Nice car BHM.

I always preferred the 2nd Gen Firebird.......oh for a lottery win....first purchase would be a 70's firebird in Brewster Green like John Waynes in McQ :cool:

Nice choice. Original Brewster greens are very rare now days. The odd one comes up on eBay a couple of times a year but virtually none in our owners club. I'm lucky to own mine because it spent the first 2 years of its life in a dry state and then from 1981-1995 it was in Saudi Arabia. Virtually no rust on it when I got it and it made for an easier body resto. I still have the original engine but the later ones were heavily watered down to meet US emissions laws. They saw the output of the 6.6 drop to 185 BHP! Hence the engine swap to a 1972 block. Similarly to the comment about the camaro above, it will happily do 70 at about 2000 rpm in top. Mac revs 6000 but obviously I've never tried to achieve higher speeds than what the law permits!

Nice car BHM.

Nice choice. Original Brewster greens are very rare now days. The odd one comes up on eBay a couple of times a year but virtually none in our owners club. I'm lucky to own mine because it spent the first 2 years of its life in a dry state and then from 1981-1995 it was in Saudi Arabia. Virtually no rust on it when I got it and it made for an easier body resto. I still have the original engine but the later ones were heavily watered down to meet US emissions laws. They saw the output of the 6.6 drop to 185 BHP! Hence the engine swap to a 1972 block. Similarly to the comment about the camaro above, it will happily do 70 at about 2000 rpm in top. Mac revs 6000 but obviously I've never tried to achieve higher speeds than what the law permits!

Well I would settle for a white and blue one like in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. :)

Yanks love a big engine with **** output. Even your car has a low output for it's displacement but it's just a product of its time and place.

Lower output but give me 380 BHP from 6.6 litres over 500 from 2.0 litres any day. I've owned Subaru imprezas etc and nothing compares to pure low down grunt like the v8.

Just experienced my first MOT with the new rules today.

Vauxhall Astra 1.7DTI 2002.

Passed no problems, but with a load more advisories than ive ever seen before - due to the new rules.

Highlights of these:

Instrument panel lamp inoperative - theres been one lamp out behind the RPM indicator since i had the car and its never been mentioned before.

Corrosion inhibitor abscent from rear coil springs apparently the paint has flaked off the rear springs exposing them.

wheel trims fitted to all road wheels not sure what thats got to do with anything

engine under tray fitted at time of inspection Same as above - ? and?

Just experienced my first MOT with the new rules today.

Vauxhall Astra 1.7DTI 2002.

Passed no problems, but with a load more advisories than ive ever seen before - due to the new rules.

Highlights of these:

Instrument panel lamp inoperative - theres been one lamp out behind the RPM indicator since i had the car and its never been mentioned before.

Corrosion inhibitor abscent from rear coil springs apparently the paint has flaked off the rear springs exposing them.

wheel trims fitted to all road wheels not sure what thats got to do with anything

engine under tray fitted at time of inspection Same as above - ? and?

all coil springs show rust if car is sat for a while--just like Brake discs.
Wheel trims ? obscure the wheel bolts
Best of all- undertray prevents inspection of various components especially drive shafts and suspension parts . (i had that last year) Will be same this year--on Monday in fact). :LOL:

It's a joke nowdays . :evil:

i quite agree, i can understand it covers various vital components. You would think however, that if the cover prevents viewing these components, that the MOT test would necessitate removing them in order to inspect!

likewise with wheel nuts/bolts!

ah well

i quite agree, i can understand it covers various vital components. You would think however, that if the cover prevents viewing these components, that the MOT test would necessitate removing them in order to inspect!

likewise with wheel nuts/bolts!

ah well

Too much like hard work for them.

My previous car was a audi a4-- 5 years ago.
Had some new tyres fitted- and not long after-- had a puncture .
Tried to take the wheel off- and the security bolt nut- was as tight as hell. In fact couldnt get it off with a good impact driver .
Result was -- I had to drill it out . Thread neded re-tapping though.
So- seeing as mot was in a few days- I left wheel on with 3 bolts only. Hub cap covered them.
result-- car passed mot.
Says it all huh ?.

Sponsored Links
Back