Stelrad WRS 450 boiler kettling?

t78

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

my boiler gets pretty noisy as it heats up - I've never thought of this as a problem, until reading this forum lol.

I think this is kettling? it does sound like boiling water.

I read in the FAQ section that the first thing to try is some Fernox stuff, is that right?
is there something specific I need to get? and where from?

also, how do I add it into my CH system?

sorry, 1001 questions I know...

thanks,
Tris.

Sponsored Links
Try some Sentinel X200.

You may have to temporary isolate water supplying small feed & expansion tank, empty some water out of your system and add X200 to F&E tank

Dont forget to re-establish water supply to F&E

hi guys,

my boiler gets pretty noisy as it heats up - I've never thought of this as a problem, until reading this forum lol.

I think this is kettling? it does sound like boiling water.

I read in the FAQ section that the first thing to try is some Fernox stuff, is that right?
is there something specific I need to get? and where from?

also, how do I add it into my CH system?

sorry, 1001 questions I know...

thanks,
Tris.

Hi
Sounds exactly the same syptoms i,m getting from mine, never heard that term before kettling.
Daz

Try some Sentinel X200.

You may have to temporary isolate water supplying small feed & expansion tank, empty some water out of your system and add X200 to F&E tank

Dont forget to re-establish water supply to F&E
cheers, that stuff looks good!

any clues as to how I can Identify the F&E tank? I'm pretty new to this plumbing stuff...

Sponsored Links
The f&e tank will be the smallest in your loft and probably the one that looks like it is full of gunk :eek:

The f&e tank will be the smallest in your loft and probably the one that looks like it is full of gunk :eek:
Gunk is a cleaning product!

If it is full of gunge, tie up the ball valve and empty the F/E tank using an old jug and a bucket. Then remove all the gunk from the bottom of the tank with a sponge or trowel. The last thing you want is for the gunge to enter the heating system!

Gunk is a cleaning product!

If it is full of gunge, tie up the ball valve and empty the F/E tank using an old jug and a bucket. Then remove all the gunk from the bottom of the tank with a sponge or trowel. The last thing you want is for the gunge to enter the heating system!

So remove the gunge, then the cleaning fluid from the bottom of the tank ;)

ok, so once I've found the F&E tank I'll need to prop up the ball valve and empty the water and any gunk in there by hand.

then I just need to pour in the X200 stuff and allow the tank to fill again by releasing the ball valve?

sounds too easy... :confused:

You asked for advice, now trust us, unfortunately heating systems are not always easy to repair.

Fortunate for you it is that easy. :cool:

Dont expect it to work overnight though.

If it does not work it 'aint cost you a lot to try. :D

good stuff - I've just got "beginners nerves" ;)
will give it a go...

cheers for the advice everyone!!

:LOL: :LOL:

Just don't fall through the ceiling, then your half way there. ;)

ps. Make sure its the smaller tank you clean out.

ok, so once I've found the F&E tank I'll need to prop up the ball valve and empty the water and any gunk in there by hand.

then I just need to pour in the X200 stuff and allow the tank to fill again by releasing the ball valve?

sounds too easy... :confused:
If you just pour the X200 into the tank, it will take a time before it gets into the system.

Pour in the X200 and add some water; then tie up the ball valve again. Open a drain cock and let some water out of the system until the level in the tank is just above the bottom outlet pipe; then release the ball valve. That way the X200 gets right into the system.

by drain cock, do you mean the tap on the lowest rad (the one used to drain the system)?

I guess it must be that, then it would force the system to refill from the F&E tank and get the X200 into the rads.

any idea how much to drain? I'm an upstairs flat so it's a bit of a pain to drain lots from the system - a smallish amount and I can use a plastic tub ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back