Stereo not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just got a '95 Nissan Sunny off of my parents, as they've bought themselves a new car. The stereo [factory fitted one] hasn't worked for years so I went and bought a new Sony stereo. I fitted it and this didn't work either. I changed the wires around with regards to the constant and switched power supply but still nothing. I then looked in the fuse box and noticed that one of the fuses was missing. I re-fitted this and the car alarm went off but the stereo came on. It was not a factory fitted alarm but one fitted by the previous owners to my parents. It is by Foxguard and would just operate the central locking and make a sound if the alarm was triggered but no immobilising as far as I am aware. The alarm started playing up and just activating the central locking as they were driving. Their garage said the simple thing was to remove the fuse so they did. This would seem to be why the stereo doesn't work [also the dashboard clock stopped and the interior light didn't work].

I was going to try and deactivate the alarm so I could put the fuse in the box and have the use of a stereo but can't find any instructions online for the Foxguard. I also have no idea where it has been put in the car. Is there a way I can change the stereo to a different fuse or is the only way to remove the alarm?

Thanks for any help. Hoping to get this done on Sunday as need to go on a long trip next week and need some music. :)

Sponsored Links
Given your experiences with the alarm and central locking it would probably be preferable to connect the stereo directly to the battery via a fuse specifically for the item. By that I mean don’t nob around with the car’s fusebox. Alternatively, you might be able to run the power supply cable via the ignition switch, which means you avoid inadvertently leaving the stereo on and perhaps draining the battery. These things can take a while to figure out even before you actually start the fitting. I would be inclined to say b*gger the music and do it when you have more time. Good luck, though. ;)

Thanks. I got the alarm removed and by disconnecting the wires properly rather than just cutting and the stereo is all good now and working without the keys in the ignition. :D
It made the grey matter work a bit but it's all good.

Sponsored Links
Back