Sterling 10 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter who lives a 500 mile round trip away from us, has a Sterling 10 alarm that has worked well for the 3 years she has been in the house.
There was no service records left with the alarm just the user code, so I have no idea when the battery was last replaced.

She phoned yesterday to say that when they try and set the alarm the unit beeps but does not set, the beeps just carry on whereas before it would chime and set after about 20 sec.

I am not familiar with the Sterling 10 panel and will probably replace the panel / keypads / sounder for her with Texecom gear later in the year, but in the meantime do you think changing the battery would help or any other suggestions would be welcome.

I could talk her husband through something simple like changing the battery but if it requires re-programming we are struggling as She doesn't have the engineer code and the company who installed it are no longer trading.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like there may be a zone open still ! Does it say anything on the display while it is still bleeping ?

Sounds like there may be a zone open still ! Does it say anything on the display while it is still bleeping ?

Thanks for the reply, I will ask her tonight, the system has 2 magnetic contacts (front and rear doors) and 6 PIR's.

As I said, I am not really familiar with this panel, on the Veritas Excel if a zone is open when you try and set it, it sounds the corresponding number of beeps to that zone, I take it this is not the case with the Sterling.

Sponsored Links
If the alarm is (capable of being) programmed for 'final door set', it could be a sticky door contact... Try tapping it with something hard like a screwdriver handle, key or a spoon!

I've had a few of these this month. (i don't know the Sterling, either.)

Thanks guy's, I couldn't get hold of her tonight.

I will get her to check the display and report back

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We have had a family bereavement that has been a bit of a shock to us and things have been put on the back burner.

It turned out to be a faulty / sticking magnetic contact on the front door. I went down to see her over Easter and replaced the panel, RKP's and sounder with Texecom gear that I am more used to working on.

The Sterling 10 system was 13 years old and had the date on the battery May 2002 so ready for replacing.

Thanks again for your replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back