Sticking Dual Flush System.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, as the title suggests the Siampa dual flush system on my WC is sticking. The "tube" in the centre of the main body is refusing to drop down, allowing water to continue to run into the pan - a bit annoying when you're on a water metre. This is the third time it has happened and I don't particularly want to buy another system if it could be fixed otherwise. Many Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20220831_061414_120.jpg
    IMG_20220831_061414_120.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
This is the third time it has happened and I don't particularly want to buy another system if it could be fixed otherwise.
have you fitted a replacement and its still a problem ?
what did you do the other 2 times it was a problem ?
looks like that unit is a twist to turn and remove , but a more experienced member will confirm - , I'm a DIYer not pro , although i have had issues with similar types and they twist out - then a good clean up with some limescale remover , also i replaced the drop washer , as 2 new toilets did leak a little in the pan , just a very slight leak, which a piece of toilet paper on the back of the pan soon got wet.
on an older toilet I had to play around with the cable (not air pressure bellows, but a cable) - which was holding the unit up - but that was a an old toilet - pre 1990 , again a twist fit, and a replacement unit was easy to get hold of from one of the local plumbing outlets (plumbcentre) , i just took the old one in and they matched it

Not expensive to replace , at least before covid

Sponsored Links
@ETAF I replaced the previous two. This tends to happen every couple of years and would prefer to resolve the problem rather than buy new every time.
I might remove it & give it a good scrub.
I'm tempted to soak it overnight in bleach & water (but maybe that would cause any rubber to perish?)

Bleach won't remove limescale tho'. Are you in a hard water area anyway?
I use Kilrock Gel limescale remover or white vinegar/acetic acid - both cheap options.

if you replaced the previous 2 - did that include the cable - so all new
how long before it sticks

i suspect , limescale - we have hardwater and a big issue with limescale build up , even after a day , its around taps etc - and the kettle within a few days - we now use a brita filter for kettle

The issue i had was limescale around the drop valve only after 1 year !!!!!

we use a cheap grocery own brand limescale remove - £1.50 a 500g bottle

Well, I soaked it in a bucket of bleach & water overnight & then let it dry thoroughly. I then applied some WD40 to the moving parts (bizarre I know but I read it in an old post on here) and after a few flushes it has stopped sticking. If the problem returns I will try white vinegar or limescale remover as recommended. Many thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back