Fitting a Dudley Niagara Dual Flush Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a low level cistern (around 4 years old) I have had to buy a dual flush valve for it as the old "flushing" part of the cistern is continually letting water into the pan of the wc. The replacement I have brought does not have the old polystyrene float on it so how does the water stop flowing into the cistern when it's full? The float used to push up another part on the water inlet pipe and when full shut of the water but I don't see how the new one will do this

Sponsored Links
you seem to be confusing the flushing valve with the float operated valve. If you are replacing the flushing valve just fit it and see if it works.

Sponsored Links
But the cistern does not have a float valve!! The centre part (being the section you flush) does not have a polysteyrene float on it. So as the water level raises how will the water know when to stop filling the cistern. Do I need to buy a new part for the water inlet pipe like an independeant float valve that will work on its own?

spartak96 said:
But the cistern does not have a float valve!!

All cisterns have float operated valves. Look at the point where the water supply enters the cistern. There will be some sort of valve on it. That is the float operated valve. Presumably it's working, filling the cistern and shutting off the flow when the water level is right?

Seems to me you took the cictern apart and mixed up the float valve bits with the flush valve bits - they are two separate things. Have you still got the old bits ?

What Chrishutt wrote is right, but the thing is it doesnt have a independant way of rising with the water that fills the cistern. That was down to the polystyrene float that is attached to the "flushing" section that I need to replace

This is the Dudley Niagara dual flush valve. Where is there a polystyrene float on it and how is it attached to the float operated valve?
syphons-03.jpg

Your right there isn't one on there. Thats what I'm saying. On the old one I removed (NOT A DUDLEY) it had one, which in turn assisted in shutting of the water when the cistern was full. So how will this work with the original valve??

I still think you are mixing up the two valves. Have you still got a water inlet valve of some sort - where the water pipe comes into. If you've thrown away the float, you'll need to get another one.

The flush valve does not turn the incoming water on/off. It just flushes !! :idea: :?:

spartak96 said:
On the old one I removed (NOT A DUDLEY) it had one, which in turn assisted in shutting of the water when the cistern was full.

Well none of us have come across such an oddity as you describe. Every cistern I've ever seen has had an independent flush valve and an independent float valve (ball cock in old speak). My guess is that you are mistaken in thinking that the two were linked. If you're sure you have an interlinked arrangement then please post a pic so we can all see.

I asked before if the float valve was working. You didn't reply. If it isn't working why don't you just fit a new float valve as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back