Sticking laptop hinge to plastic lid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Bit of a sticky problem here: I have a laptop that has quite poorly designed hinges, and like many other owners of this model, one of the steel hinge plates on mine has detached from its plastic mountings in the lid. I've heard that gluing it with epoxy sometimes works, so I got some Loctite two-part stuff (supposedly - can't find it on their website) and tried it out. The glue basically dried like hard gum, and the hinge failed almost immediately. Does anybody have any recommendations for a better adhesive, or some other method?

Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
Plastic to steel is tricky.
I'd try two pack epoxy, the slow cure stuff not the 30 minute type.
Abrade both surfaces to be joined with fairly coarse abrasive to give the adhesive a key.
Degrease both parts with pure iso propyl alcohol or similar.
Stick together and leave for 24 hours, or whatever the cure time is. Don't be tempted to "just try it" earlier. :)
You might be lucky, but as I say it's tricky particularly with high stress points like hinges. Good luck with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back