Sticking quadrant with silicon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
About a year ago, I stuck a 6mm? quadrant in the corner between the tiles and the worktops in the kitchen. I used tile cement, but it is coming off. Now I want to stick it with something else, most probably silicon. Each length is approx 2mtrs, and previously I've had problems with silicon forming q skin before I've stuck the item together.

Does anyone know if this is the correct way? Is there a slow setting silicon?

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
Why not dispense with the quadrant all together and run a neat 6mm bead of silicone?

Easy to get a professional finish with a Fugi / Fugenboy.

what ever silicon you decide to use, make sure that it has anti fungal / anti mildew properties. A nice bead of silicon is the better option imo, as said in post above

Why not dispense with the quadrant all together and run a neat 6mm bead of silicone?

Easy to get a professional finish with a Fugi / Fugenboy.

I watched the whole video which I'm glad of because halfway I thought what if your corner isn't 90° in which case the tool would be better being made if rubber or silicone itself, I knew you'd get that extra line of excess silicone that would need attention after which of course you did, what about that nasty dollop of excess silicone you left against the architrave?

I'd of run that bead in 5 secs, same finish, no finger including cutting the nozzle

Sponsored Links
Hi,
It was silicon before, but a it was a bit messy, this is why I changed to quadrant. Silicon takes practice to get it right.
C.

Hi,
It was silicon before, but a it was a bit messy, this is why I changed to quadrant. Silicon takes practice to get it right.
C.
Well I've posted you a link to a youtube video that shows how it's easy for an amateur to get professional results with silicone.

I watched the whole video which I'm glad of because halfway I thought what if your corner isn't 90° in which case the tool would be better being made if rubber or silicone itself, I knew you'd get that extra line of excess silicone that would need attention after which of course you did, what about that nasty dollop of excess silicone you left against the architrave?

I'd of run that bead in 5 secs, same finish, no finger including cutting the nozzle
to be fair I've always considered myself quite handy with a silicone gun, but nowadays pretty much always use a silicone tool

Get a good silicone if you are going to do your beading. I've used Mapesil and BAL in the past and have to say, BAL was expensive but still had brilliant white silicone after 6 months heavy duty around the bath with a newborn (fitted shower shelf angled backward caused water to come through the existing muck)

Hi, 'Sometime later'
After a couple of re-tries looking like a seagull did it, today I managed to get a good bead 6 Mtrs long. Not perfect but quite ok for me.
Thanks, C.

2 years to do 6 mtrs wow!
Hi C,
Yes, I hate doing DIY. I did a house up once, which did me in.
I siliconed the worktop yesterday, scraped it off today. for some reason, I was in a good mood, and the second time was ok.
Now I'm an expert, I've got to scrape and re-silicon the shower unit, that I made a mess of earlier.
C.

Well at least you had a go, it is a DIY forum after all, its not always about getting someone in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back