sticky wet resin damp patch. What to do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there. I recently moved into a new property, and old owner had carpeted the walls in one room! Carpet came off no problem. I then wander the walls down and painted room white to seal whatever glue was left and left for a while to see if it crept through. I then decorated the room. Recently, after we have put the heating on long wet sticky drips have appeared, starting from top corner. Also all along the window, the bit that juts out before the pvc frame is wet brown and sticky.

Our windows really steam up, so think may also have a condensation problem. Don't know how to treat this patch. Had gutters, fascia boards etc replaced just incase.
Please, any advice would be great.
Thank-you.

Sponsored Links
What have you sealed the walls with ? If you have used emulsion, this wont work as a sealer in this way. An oil based sealer might have been better suited.

Thanks for reply. Well yes it only paint, but as it had been left for over a month and nothing had come through so we thought it was fine. How on earth would I seal it now? Where would I buy it? Cheers, Natalie.

You might get away with giving it a coat of white undercoat, let that dry and then coat up with emulsion again. This may seal it..

Sponsored Links
It could be that a solvent based glue was used to stick the carpet which will bleed through any water based coating.
Is the staining soapy? as there is a paint defect called saponification which occurs when solvent paints are applied to plaster, your plaster is getting wet and when you put the heating on its expelling moisture as it dries which also brings alkali salts to the surface, when these salts come into contact with solvent they bleed a soapy substance. Oil based undercoat will cause exactly the same problem unless you sort out the damp problem.

EDIT : Probably should have said the normal solution is alkali resisting primer but unsure as to how well it will work with the recurring dampness.

Top corner by coving is really wet. Whatever is dripping down is brown. It is slightly sticky when you rub your fingers together and cold to the touch, but not like normal glue, very watered down. There was a big area almost behind rad where I couldn't get down to sand w here glue wad practically left how it was and nothing is seeping through. Going to draw round mark and see if it is spreading when it rains or something. Neighbours joining wall is fine.

Any pictures ??. From your description, it doesnt sound as if there is any damp. Just sounds like the glue has begun to creep when the heating is on. If the walls are already coated with emulsion then the oil based pant wont be in contact with the plaster. A sealer like Zinsser might be the way forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back