Sticky Wood Worktop (Bamboo)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wooden worktop has gone sticky.
I re oil it every 9 months or so with Danish Oil, its just coming to be redone.
It has now gone sticky, it transpires that the lady of the house has used a spray cleaner on it(it does say test first), who reads the instructions on cleaning products.
Have done a bit of Googling on the topic, and it says try using the product & rubbing it, try white spirit & also there was a mention of using Nitromors Paint and Varnish Remover (I contacted Henkel the supplier & they have said it will not work).
Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions otherwise its lots of elbow grease to remove it & I know it will clog the sandpaper so wont be easy.

(If this would be better posted in decorating, please move it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The usual suspects -white spirit, turpentine- are all solvents for Danish oil. Should come off fairly easily.

Sponsored Links
I have no problem with wear ability its the fact its gone sticky.
Danish oil was the recommendation from the work top installer/supplier

OK so started trying to remove sticky Danish oil yesterday.
I used a palm sander with an abrasive pad, poured white spirit on the work top, it softened the oil even more, but would not wipe off. I then used a Stanley blade as a scraper, IT WORKED.
So its a lot of elbow grease & a blade to scrape, just put 2nd coat on.
This may help others, as there does not seem to be many good tips on the web for removing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back