Stickyback plastic-wrapped plywood bath panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an odd shaped bath panel to replace so I want to make my own out of plywood. Is wrapping the whole panel in stickyback plastic a good way to avoid sealing/priming/painting the face and edges? I've not heard of it being done before so I'm just checking there's no obvious problem with it that I've missed. Can I use it straight on the ply without priming? (It's already sanded)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What happens when the sticky back plastic inevitably gets scuffed/torn?
From what I've seen the good quality stuff is ok to use for applications like kitchen worktops - surely a bath panel is gonna have less strain than that?
Just seems a lot easier than having to seal and paint the ply - particularly as it wraps round the edges. Is there a product that can go straight on the face and edges and do the sealing and painting in one application?

Sponsored Links
Why not just use uvpc , waterproof?
I was surprised to find that none of the big retailers sell white plastic sheet suitable for a bath panel. I could only find it online which was quite expensive. Wickes sell clear acrylic but that's no good. Also the acrylic bath panels are super brittle which is annoying

Here's one I did earlier, £10 of soffit will do two.

upload_2020-3-22_16-1-49.png

I was surprised to find that none of the big retailers sell white plastic sheet suitable for a bath panel.
Also try Amari Plastics, Plastics Direct (national) as well maybe some of the local tri-wall polycarbonate suppliers who do stuff like fascias and soffits as Foxhole says

Also try Amari Plastics, Plastics Direct (national) as well maybe some of the local tri-wall polycarbonate suppliers who do stuff like fascias and soffits as Foxhole says
I used Plastics Direct for my (albeit flat) bath panel.
20210824_100649.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back