Stihl 45 Running Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last couple of weeks this hedge cutter ran and cut ok then would fade if turned sideways.

Today it would start ok then fade when throttle gripped them stop !

Always had clean container for fuel , using Stihl 2/stoke oil for mix.

If it's a carborator stip is there a strip guide ?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
For exploded diagrams, google Zama carburettor and you should get what you need!
Tips......get the carb totally clean from the outside before you start to dismantle it;
Check that the fuel supply pipe - with the filter on the end - hasn't bobbed up to the top of the tank for some reason;
Check the vent (domed rubber cap) on the top of the tank isn't covered with crap
.....and away you go!
Nothing too remarkable about these carbs, but you will need an aerosol of carb cleaner, Two main issues are diaphragm wrinkling and therefore not pumping the fuel, and a tiny gauze filter on the opposite end of the needle valve becoming gummy.
John :)

I'll just continue with this if I may......if the machine has a priming bulb, it should fill within about 4 pushes.....the bulb shouldn't stick flat, but some aeration of the fuel is fine. If the bulb doesn't fill, then there's a fuel delivery issue through the needle valve or it's filter.

I'll just continue with this if I may......if the machine has a priming bulb, it should fill within about 4 pushes.....the bulb shouldn't stick flat, but some aeration of the fuel is fine. If the bulb doesn't fill, then there's a fuel delivery issue through the needle valve or it's filter.

Thanks John

Cutter purchased oct 2014 , not had commercial use. just once a month.

The bulb does fill as you say and does not stay flat seems in good condition.
With the carb cleaner would it be any use spraying direct into the carb before trying a stip down ?

Sponsored Links
All you would really do there is to squirt cleaner directly down the carb choke, and into the engine......there's nothing in there to block, I'm afraid!
Have you set the carb screws to the turns moulded on the air filter cover?
For such a young machine, I wouldn't have expected issues yet, but this ethanol fuel we have to use these days doesn't help.
A spare spark plug is also worth having too.

All you would really do there is to squirt cleaner directly down the carb choke, and into the engine......there's nothing in there to block, I'm afraid!
Have you set the carb screws to the turns moulded on the air filter cover?
For such a young machine, I wouldn't have expected issues yet, but this ethanol fuel we have to use these days doesn't help.
A spare spark plug is also worth having too.
Thanks.

Screws have not been touched, H & L were factory set ,
will give the LA screw a small turn to see if this does any good,
then try replacing spark plug if this fails it's a strip !!

Last edited:
H is the High speed running screw, L is the Low speed (tickover) running screw, LA is the idle speed......thats just a mechanical one that opens the throttle slightly.
Be lucky!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back