stihl Chainsaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a ms 180 chainsaw that wont start , i have changed the fuel , sprk plug (Nice healthy spark) air filter but she wont start , i even tried it with easy start but nothing
shes not that old about a year and i only really have her as a second saw as i use a much bigger one for work ,

does anybody have any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Does the saw seem to have plenty of compression?
Take the plug out, see if its damp. If it is, dry it and crank the engine over a few times before trying again.
Try a few drops of neat petrol down the plug hole too - this sometimes gets them going.
John :)

John ive tried the petrol down the plug but it didnt start ,commpresson is good ,like i said shes like knew so there shoulb be no reason she wont start , i put the choke on ,pulled a cpl of times until she catches then take the choke of and next pull she will fire up , firstly i thought i had flooded her so i left her for about 1/2 hr but she wouldnt start after that either
, looks like i will have to take her to my local garden machinery center but they never tell you what the problem is they just say leave her here
and pick up in a week then charge the earth for it , i will leave it till tommorow and she if will fire up

if it is ever flooded just whip the plug out and crank a few times with it out and that will vent the chamber and clear it completely. Which re-reading his post i think is what john said anyway. D'oh

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you are very close to getting the thing running.....full choke, full throttle and crank until it pops, then choke off, still full throttle and it should start straight up. Sometimes these saws control the throttle setting for you - its much better to hold the throttle open full manually if you can. Careful though!
John :)

I have a stihl diamond blade cutter. Absolute bu**ger to start when it's warm. From cold, it will start within a couple of pulls of the cord, but once it's been running for a bit and stopped, it can take loads of pulls to get it going again. Even after a service it's the same.
Temperamental ba***rd. :evil: :evil: :evil:

B~~~er me ! i take the bloody thing to a Stihl dealer and yep you guessed it the engineer grabs hold and it starts on the 3rd pull , i feel like a real na na as a shop load of peeps look at me as if im a ******, i point out to him that it had trouble starting and he tried again and it wouuldnt start at all so its in the workshop now , i will keep you imfromed

So basically you just didn't have the knack :LOL:

Myyyy Sha-rona.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back