Stihl TS410 disc cutter assembly crankcase. How do you do it. Tips advise please. Seems to be mission impossible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a TS410 with flywheel crankcase cracked and deciced to replace it after find the right part on Ebay.

Took everything apart but now seem to be impossible to push the new crankcase into the crankshaft bearing. Tried to freeze the bearing and warm up the crankcase but still no way to go in. seem to be way too big.

I warmed up the crankcase with heat gun to the point the paint is yellow and starting to melt.

I`m sure someone here have done this before.

Any advise tips is welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's usually best to fit the bearing into the crankcase first - with a little heat it should go straight in. I guess yours is still on the crankshaft?
Check that the bearing size is correct, then scrape a little of the alloy away to give a sort of tapered entry for the bearing. Don't overdo this!
The crankcase must be absolutely square onto the bearing here.
John :)

It's usually best to fit the bearing into the crankcase first - with a little heat it should go straight in. I guess yours is still on the crankshaft?
Check that the bearing size is correct, then scrape a little of the alloy away to give a sort of tapered entry for the bearing. Don't overdo this!
The crankcase must be absolutely square onto the bearing here.
John

Bearing still in the crankshaft, been a nightmare to remove the old broken crankcase but the bearing seem to be well a mm oversized the crankcase but it went off from the old one.

Do you suggest to remove bearing from crankshaft first and push in the crankcase?

If need to scrape. What sort of grit should use?

Thanks

If the bearing is 1mm oversized then there's something very wrong here, I'm afraid! No way will that go.
For scraping, something like a Stanley blade will do, just to take the sharp corner off....no need for emery or whatever.
It is best to fix the bearings into the crankcase first, but getting them off the crankshaft can be a pig too.
The two bearings should have the same number etched on them.
Wishing you luck with it!

Sponsored Links
To remove the bearing from the crankshaft it's best to use a puller.......often there is a rust deposit that holds the bearing tight (curious, I know, being in an oily environment)!
Heat is a great thing when installing the bearing in the crankcase, being aluminium. The bearing should just slip in, and when it cools the bearing will hold in place nicely.

Back