still leaking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
to follow up from my previous thread regarding radiators-i have dug up the floor for access so the plumber can solder the pipes to fit the rads.where the tails go into the radiators there is a very slight leak?he said that as they are taper threads ptfe tape should not be used.the tails are in the rads very tight but are still passing slightly.what would be the best solution.thanks.

Sponsored Links
Something very odd with your plumber's methods and advice.

Taper threads give a very positive seal as they are tightened until they come up tight which is why all gas threaded joints must be taper, or some would say one side taper.

Just because they are taper it does not mean that you should not use PTFE and I certainly do and everyone I know uses PTFE.

Is he an East European? Perhaps they dont use PTFE there?

Not using PTFE would explain why they are still leaking!

Tony

It depends on the make of rad valve tails.

Cheap ones about 6-7 turns of PTFE.

Drayton TRV4s and very good but always cut rather too small and they need 10-11 turns.

Some of the less experienced people would use a little LSX as well as the PTFE tape but it is not necessary.

Rad tails do need to be done up fairly tight, about office worker one hand!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Try using the much thicker one-wrap PTFE (gas tape) costs about a quid and is in a yellow cover. Wrap it 5 or 6 times and it'll never leak (unless you have a faulty fitting which is always a possibility).

Agile said:
Some of the less experienced people would use a little LSX as well as the PTFE tape but it is not necessary.

Maybe not necessary Tony but perhaps those with a little more nouse prefer to have a little extra surety.

I've been told that Boss White\LSX etc.. degrades PTFE and they should not be used together on a joint.

Correct whoever said it. ptfe nothing else.

Buy a roll of "Loctite 55" string. wouldn't use anything else now. :cool:

Wouldn't mind a quid for every leaking "ptfe joint" which when undone, obviously had all the tape shoved to the end without gripping the thread at all.
Helps to roughen the thread up with a hacksaw blade dragged sideways.
Rads vary, some holes need yards of tape. I do them darned tight, because they're inclined to turn otherwise.
"about office worker one hand" - depends on the lever.
Have used ls-x on a recalcitrant taped thread, it works.
Would bet all those quids that LS-X wouldn't do anything to ptfe, ever. It's "teflon", think saucepans! It's a very stable material.

"about office worker one hand" - depends on the lever.

Yes, but the lever is usually about 10" and that description conveys an idea to the trainee.

Trainee did up the little NTC on an Alpha but I forgot to tell him it should only be "two finger". He must have used four because it started leaking later because it had partly sheared off.

Its a very important part of training to get the details right and the torque to be applied to different parts of boilers and rads varies widely.

Tony

Its a very important part of training to get the details right
Indeed, like how long the lever is, and how strong the office worker, come to that; one chap I worked with in an office was 30 stone.

I tried to underemphasize the error by not using the usual quote mechanism. Ah well.

stop the press ,update,used ptfe tape and jobs a good'un.no leaks.the wife said i've got a good right hand :eek: (but not office worker).thanks everyone for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back