Stock market dealing

Sponsored Links
Sorry, i was distracted by one of your suck poppets. Can you find time to post another link. Just one will do, this time.

What? The graph was produced by the people whose name appears on it. It's just showing there's nothing special about the current year's SP500 activity.. Many are seeing a portent of doom.

Sponsored Links
Need to be careful though - when labour gets in, and get their paws on the 'Nom Dom Money', they are going to build millions of new houses (probably many 8 beds with swimming pools especially for the migrants and their big families{1}) So house prices could fall!

there must be a lot of 'Nom Dom Money' millions of new houses, save the NHS, fund law and order, let out all the prisoners, unquestionable benefits so nobody needs work again, new roads everywhere, HS2 + 3 +4, environment saved, its going to be just brilliant under labour. All with Nom Dom Money - BRILLIANT

[1], by big families I mean numerous, I'm sure many british families will be much bigger, but less numerous. (diet anomaly)
Silly right wing tribalism

The reality is 13 years of Conservatives have seen stagnant growth, declining wages and destruction of public services.

but hey if you want to keep believing “Labour cr@p, Tory great” please carry on

You're saying foolish because you don't know what you're talking about. It's the standard know-nothing dumb childish smartass thing to say
I have to say your frequent insults in this thread is rather giving the impression you are a complete d1ck

tip for you: refrain from insults

I have to say your frequent insults in this thread is rather giving the impression you are a complete d1ck

tip for you: refrain from insults
Are you on drugs or something - sometimes you seem quite normal, other far from it.

Most people who "have a go" at the stock market simply haven't looked into what you have to do in order to play the probablilities so they are strongly in their favour. That's like investing in a company because you like its name. You would expect to lose, mostly.
The vast majority of people who start off have no more to go on than "well this company has done OK so far". That only lasts a little while.

If you don't even know the basics, you aren't remotely qualified to make judgments, you're ignorant, so shut up, but you're invited to ask questions.
If you repeat the same silliness but you find the response insulting, that's your problem not mine.

Many in the thread so far have shown that they don't have a clue.
If you think it's like a horse race, then you don't have a clue, you're ignorant. You are likely to make comments deserving of derision.
If you think for example that buying stocks should only be for the long term, then you're out of date, mostly. That used to be much more true than it is now. You decide the term of the trade before you take it.

I have described many ways, and shown results. EG I described "swing" trading using Marks and Spencer. That's working. I bought the last dip, and it has risen nicely since.
I've given numbers, shown the bank account results, and used freely available charts. It works.
If you come at me with sneery comments (not) worthy of a 9 year old, then you aren't respectable and you should expect to be insulted by implicaton if not directly. If you think being told you're ignorant is an insult - no, it's a well founded, objective assessment!

We are at a time of year which has traditionally started something of a bull run - rising until xmas. Everythings cyclical. At the moment, communications, technical products and the chips, are doing well. Oil was great for a while, and may well rise again from the current low prices. (Oil is special, the price is manipuated by governments) Crypto currencies are waiting for some good news which can only push them higher. A rumour of a hint of good news recently popped the price up.

You can try it, free. Register with eToro. You can then use a "demo" account with anything up to a notional £100k. Then you can "copy" the trades of some one you can pick from a list, with a click. You can see what the person has been investing in and how they've done. Pick someone who got consistent results relative to say the S&P500, for a year. Pick someone who is 50% or so above, of which there are many.

For trading, they have to be sure about your identity, so they'll ask for a scan of your driving license or similar. Nothing very secret. Some ask for your NI number, so thay can perform their regulatory reporting to the tax people. I'm not sure I remembered my NI number and may have got some numbers wrong.... You don't want that number floating about until necessary.

I've explained swing trading before. Day trading requires different knowledge - you aren't interested in the fundamentals of the company, you just look at large, actively traded ones. You look at the highest and lowest prices of the previous few days. WhIch is it nearer now? Has the overall trend been rising or falling? What are the other key prices which the price "bounces off" or gets appaently magnetised to? What's in the News, globally and in the sector and for that company?

Apple may be a case in point, or Tesla, Google, Microsoft and those, or second league might be Adobe, Paypal. Intel.
Sometimes the news is over, like good results, but often there's a set of situations or comments. Stocks tend to rise then dip after good results, then rise over a few days. You use that.
On a more background level , Intel is looking to be well placed in the chip sector because of what it's producing , and dealing with the restrictions placed on exports to China. There are associations with other mega companies sometimes, as is the case now, to produce specific AI chips. That's great to know, because it's not just a one-off.

Here's Intel. Something happened - I can't remember what, possibly earnings results, for the first jump, but the background was positive too.

1700413116987.png

The wavy lines are moving averages.
So I waited for the dip after the jump and bought 31st October. I closed the position (ie sold) when the price dipped towards that purple line (EMA14). and rebought as it went up again. It's set to alarm me and/or sell if it drops suddenly, at a bit closer than that.
So far, the gain is 17.28% as shown. As said before, you can leverage your order, at 5:1. So that's a 86% gain in a month. There are some daily charges I won't bother going into, which cost a couple of percent , to be taken from the 86.
I have 10k in it, still. (A calamitous drop would be maybe say equal to that ~8% initial jump, but that's unlikely and the "stop losses" should catch it before it fell much of that.) £8.4k in 16 days or so then.
You can have a few like that on the go at once, not needing much attention apart from reading the shares news (Sharecast.com, Bloomberg, CNN) . That one is about 3% per week. Day traders aim to get around 5% a day but they are wickedly good at it and concentrating all day.

I know someone who is far looser. She buys something she fancies at say 100, which has been doing OK but wandering around +/- 5-10% over a period. She goes with the trend, and sets a "take profit" level at say 105. As long as there's no bad news, she leaves it. Sooner or later it'll hit 105 even if it had dipped to 90 in the meantime. I call her a loose woman but she's annoyingly profitable.

If all you want to do is beat the building societies, use one of the ETFs which holds a collection in the currently profitable sector or two. They don't change very much.
some, eg real estate, are likely to rise as interest rates settle down. Tech , IT & Comms rool, mostly, though.

oops, wrong computer, I'll post a graph later.... coming....

Last edited:
Was about to go in"What did you buy today, but here would ...

CHipotle, Canadian Pacific, Howard Hughes. Lowes, Hilton Worldwide, Alphabet (Google)
Within the last few days anyway.
Why? Look up Bill Ackman - currently the world's most successful hedge fund manager - those are mostly what he's in at the moment.

Warren Buffet is still an advocate of Apple 48%, along with
Bank of AMerica 8.3%
Am Exp 7%
Cocacola 6.6
Chevron 4.6
Occidental 4
Kraft Heinz 3.1
Moody's 2.4
MTSUY 1.6

You could just invent in the middleman - BRK.A or BRK.B

Astonishing how big Apple is. Just the "wearables" division turned in revenue of $13 Billion for the quarter. Thats more than a few names added together like MacDonalds, Starbucks....
Apple is about 13 times the size of Shell, 70 times Ford, 450 times Marks and Spencer...

You may have heard of the Russell2000 , 2000 small - mid sized US companies. Apple is getting on for twice the size of all those put together.

For the post 2 up - lost the graph, but the sector info is here:

I put in another thread that bitcoin related stocks were up, so the shares of companies acting as broker for them do similar. Yesterday it was 7-8%. (as expl in another thread)

Today I was doing something else so clocked on, noticed Coinbase was falling so clicked sell instead of buy, and left it.
It went down 7%. After leverage that's 35%. So, £17k up on 50k.

Unusually the Magnificent Seven didn't do well in the last day or two . (Tesla, AMD, Apple, Google, Meta, Microsoft, Amazon., Nvidia).
There's a thought it's "rotation", when interest/ frenzy swivels around to a different sector.
Pharma is a possibility, with the likes of Lilly, J & J, Merck, and lots of others. There have been weight loss drugs causing a stir because the sales would be vast, but one after another they're getting reports that people put the weight back on when they stop taking the treatment. Golly gosh how surprising. But the prices have been reasonably robust.
There's an "ETF" for the healthcare sector, which is a fund which holds a bunch of health/pharma stocks. It's called XLV. Worth keeping an eye on it. The tech sector could take a bit of a "correction". It's brittle really, being overwhelmingly in so few stocks.
In the UK AstraZenica is low too. One positive squeak from them and the shares will put on weight.

The froth has blown off Bitcoin etc etc, as the "Whales" took profits and crashed the market from 40 to 33 or so.
The Crypto ETF is still "just down the tracks" so , though its risky, buying in a dip could be a good move.
Gold has been hitting, but not exceeding, all time highs, up around 2000. That's another where "buying the dip" is likely to be good because things which hit "resistance" levels tend to keep doing it. Then one day they break through - all the people who want to, get their profits with the sales they left lurking, and after that pause the price breaks upwards. :Likely to happen if say China invades Taiwan or the techs tumble..

How credible is the new Argentinian President's mad notion to transfer the country's currency to the American Dollar?

How credible is the new Argentinian President's mad notion to transfer the country's currency to the American Dollar?
NO idea really. Zimbabwe tried it, there must be some history there.

Here's an interesting stock, UEC, which is basically Uranium:
1702403752580.png

Sponsored Links
Back