Stock market dealing

Someone asked if I get losses. Sure, everyone does. You try something which looks as though it shold go one way, and it doesn't do anything, or goes the wrong way first, etc. The "Losses" column is running at around 4 - 5%. More trades than that lose, but they're all small becaue you "stop" them. I lose profits because I don't hold on to trades, but I'd rather make a lower profit that get higher losses.
In other words if you're buying and the price dips a bit you can hold and wait to see if it does turn and go up, or you can take a small loss and wait to see where it goes. If you hold on and the price does rise, you never had a loss and you feel cocky. But when the drop is there all day and you're still waiting, it's uncomfortable. I'd rather just deal with it when seen.

Sponsored Links
$AAPL $189/$190 SS - Barclays with a downgrade today, no surprise as it battles with the $200 level. Now stay SHORT until it breaks above $190 again.
$XOM $100.25 L - OIL back in play here, so look at it above the $100 mark. Friday lows near $99.50 so can get LONG above that.
$BA $255 SS - Goldman with a downgrade and now breaking below the weekly level. Look SHORT through $255. Should get to $250 if it goes.
$AFRM $50 SS - Always looking SHORT on this under $50, so try if it pops up anywhere near this clear level.

That's what I'll be looking at Crypto is bouncing around by several %.
I held some since last week and it popped up so I was happy. SHould have sold - it dropped. I sold some but it came back up :rolleyes:
Bitcoin is at an all-time high.

Others to keep an eye on - NVIDIA and AMD are near highs. The moods is bearish so bear that in mind.

Last edited:
Well that worked out OK.
There are several ways to invest in shares. You can do it by buying the share direct, or using a "CFD platform" or by doing something which is named "Spread betting", a proxy construction which avoids paying tax. They all boil down down to the same thing as far as the trader is concerned, so I'll pretend I was actually buying shares because it's more straightforward to picture.
The share prices started/ ended the day at
$AAPL Apple__________________________ 188 went to 184 2.1%
$XOM Exxon Mobil ___________________ 100 went to 103 3%
$BA Boeing ___________________________ 257 went to 251 2.3%
$AF Affirm ____________________________ 48.9 went to 46.6 4.7%
$COIN Coinbase ____________________ 176 went to 156 11.3% (MARA, mentioned previously did the same, and HUT8 15%)

NVIDIA moved 2+% and AMD 4% so they did well too.

So there's half a dozen names which would have done well for you, and you were given the names before the market opened.
If you'd picked a few and shared say £1000 between them you would have got say 5% if you'd moved just some towards COIN because it was doing better than the rest. You'd have won £50. That is equal to what you would have gained in a good building society account in a whole year.

If you used a popular platform/method, that would have been a CFD one at 5x, so you'd have won £250. (The SB platforms can give you a lot more than 5x. The gains would then also be tax free.)
If you'd done your homework (or read this thread recently) you'd have seen that the crypto-related stocks have been moving a lot, you would have favoured COIN, MARA, HUT8, from the start and you'd have got about 10%. If you'd swapped direction when the curve changed direction during the day, you'd have got 15-20% from the price change alone. That would be 75 - 100% using a CFD platform.

Once you've done this before and accumulated an account balance whereby you've withdrawn all your original investment several times over, you're using the next monies with less anxiety as they're recent winnings. You'd be using perhaps £100k instead of 1k.

Then, today would have yielded 75-100% of 100k, which is £75k-£100k.
If you cock up the swapping over a bit and miss the best moments, you still wind up with 60k. (hint).

Not so may movers today, and things were generally down. I won't be keeping tech stocks generally, for the next month or few.
Starting with the same palette of stocks as under inspection yesterday, MARA made moves to recover so got the input. Its share price rose 8%, in a couple of hours.
1k leveraged x5, became 1.4k. Add zeroes to taste.

Sponsored Links
This printing money lark is a bit easy when there's a MARA about. 12% up, x5 = 60% today.
The run may end soon because the crypto Exchange Traded Fund application news is imminent.
There's no real concensus on whether it'll be good for the stocks' prices or not. Don't care, will just deal with it on the day.
I've been showing some numbers in the last few days, all at or above 10% basic per day growth, which when leveraged in the usual way become 50%.
11.7% basic a day is a good target, because you end up with x10 in a week. I usually cock it up, but I muddle through.

For Dividend hounds , note that Warren Buffet got his payout today from Apple. Apple pays a very low dividend rate, 0.53%.
Buffet gets about $800,000,000 per annum from Apple divs. Blimey.

If you aren't quite at that level, check Pfizer. The share price is well down at the mo. The Sector is starting to rise though, as people look for somewhere other than A.I. ( which sounds good, until you look for actual profits from it) to lodge their dosh.
There is some buzz around Pfizer, about a drug approval and a small takeover, so some investors are eyeing potential gains from the company’s dividends. As of now, Pfizer offers an annual dividend yield of 5.84%, which is a quarterly dividend amount of 42 cents per share ($1.68 a year).
That's not bad. A modest growth on top would give a decent return if you just want to dump some cash.
COMpare with British American Tobacco, which is a traditional dividend machine whose shares don't have such a rosy outlook. No point earning an extra high dividend if the capital suffers. You may want to trade off one tax against another, but you have to have the gain, to be bothered about the tax.

Of the magnificent 7/8/9 stocks. Meta look relatively appealing. Their earnings are due out fairly soon but not too soon, so it's about the right time to buy anticipating decent numbers before the crush.

Messy day. Nothing with a really strong "catalyst", like results or a new customer, so one looks at oil. Oil was boring, but Natural gas was on the rise, about 7% on the day.
Oil & NG are tradeable in extended hours, so I hung on, but forgot it stops at 10pm.
Got an extra rise, but couldn't sell so still have it. Annoyingly, because there's the risk of a price change over the weekend, plus an interest payment which comes from the "leveraging". I also forgot that commodities are x10 and not x5, so you get the rise on 10k for your 1k.
That's a ra ra ra, - the gain was 70% on the day.

Edit- just noticed MARA dropped a lot so I could have added that for a few % (~7) as it was a different part of the day. I missed it because Bitcoin wasn't moving much. Oh well.

Last edited:
The economic boycott of Israel aims to put pressure on Israel to comply with international law and to persuade private companies to end their participation in Israel’s crimes. The Israeli economy is especially dependent on international trade and investment, making it especially susceptible to international economic boycotts. Many international companies such as G4S and HP profit from helping Israel to maintain its system of apartheid and settler colonialism. Campaigns against and divestment from international companies increases the pressure on them to end their complicity with Israel’s oppression of Palestinians.

-----------------------------
off topic content removed

Last edited by a moderator:
The economic boycott of Israel aims to put pressure on Israel to comply with international law and to persuade private companies to end their participation in Israel’s crimes. The Israeli economy is especially dependent on international trade and investment, making it especially susceptible to international economic boycotts. Many international companies such as G4S and HP profit from helping Israel to maintain its system of apartheid and settler colonialism. Campaigns against and divestment from international companies increases the pressure on them to end their complicity with Israel’s oppression of Palestinians.

BDSmovement.net

0e14383bde57c77daa719dbce60ad2b6.jpg
I assume that was a mistake, @Odds . I've Reported it.

I'm just advocating an opinion on the economic prosecution of the war in Gaza. America uses sanctions on countries that don't equate with its policies, so why shouldn't it work the other way around when a country is using its economic power to oppress a subject population.
You can't hack away on your computer without being aware of what else goes on in the world.
Consider it a public information post.

You're welcome.

I wonder if Justin Passing is losing overall…but like a gambler only remembers the wins

He's an excellent reminder that the UK tax system treats ordinary working people more harshly than prosperous investors.

Sorry, he's not even an investor, he's a "trader"

He did hint that he had registered under a false NI number, but of course you can't trust what he says.

Perhaps he obeys the law and includes it all on his tax return.

The "ignore" button is a great help.

I'm just advocating an opinion on the economic prosecution of the war in Gaza. America uses sanctions on countries that don't equate with its policies, so why shouldn't it work the other way around when a country is using its economic power to oppress a subject population.
You can't hack away on your computer without being aware of what else goes on in the world.
Consider it a public information post.

You're welcome.
Completely off topic. It's not a thread about politics.

I wonder if Justin Passing is losing overall…but like a gambler only remembers the wins
I showed £300k or so of bank statements wins, ages ago. I told you a couple of days ago about what I was going to do and then did it showing the wins on one day
One tries some things which don't work so they get aborted. Losing happens, like shops have damaged goods and pilfering - a cost of doing business.
If you did what I said, you'd win too. Why don't you?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back