Stone Garden Wall leaning a bit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a stone wall which gently curves around the border of our garden next to the street. It has settled over the years and there are some cracks as a result. There is a varying gap on the outside (leaning out side) from half metre to one metre soil before the pavement edge which is concrete with edging. The wall is about 1.8m (6ft) tall and build of natural stone blocks. It leans out about 80mm top to bottom and I think the crack is gradually widening so good to built a two or three buttresses to prevent further leaning. I am too old to do a full stone buttress so am thinking a steel one which I can grow stuff over. A sort of cage which would be anchored at ground level between the wall and the pavement structure. I would need to dig out some earth and throw in some concrete with a bit of reinforcing. Does anyone have an idea of an open design of a steel structure to suit. I guess it would be triangular (like a leaning buttress) and reach say 2/3 of the way up the wall.

Advice appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that a 6 foot high stone wall is leaning out towards a public footpath?
You do need to fix it if so. And not cock it up.

Yes it is towards a public path and I have a small gap of my ground left to do something. My proposed solution is to get some old galvanised steel gas pipe (really heavy and solid 2" with 3/8' wall) and but these against the wall using the pavement backfill concrete to support the pipe. I will dig out a slot from the pavement to the wall about 20cm deep and fill with concrete but reinforce it as well. The pavement end of the pipe will be in the concrete as well and the reinforcing will go up into the pie to further hold it in place. The top of the pipe will connect with the wall and I will chisel out enough stone to give it goo purchase. This should then stop that part of the wall leaning further. I will then build stonework around the pipe to hide it and provide the rest of the buttress. The concrete I put in will support the stone buttress. I Will then build more supports along the wall. When that has hardened (by now the wall is safe) I will remove the wall stonework which has gaps and rework the blocks back into the rest of the wall to finish off. The wall lean at the moment is 6" at worse for a 6' x 12" wall. Comment welcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back